BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

8 hours ago, den said:

I remember them being relegated.

Me too! Sadly they only spent the one season out of the First Division though and had regular crowds of 52000!

Can't understand how it didn't work out with David Moyes. That seems a long while ago and still they can't find a manager to suit them.

17 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you think we`ve got problems,man utd have got massive issues🤣

They do, but Rovers are worse. Stuck in the championship, managed by Mowbray, owned by Venkys.

They are a shadow of the Ferguson era. Scattershot player recruitment, bad managerial choices, commercial opportunities over on field improvement, and owners who prioritise profit over product all contribute. 

It is great to see though. For 20 years all and sundry had to listen to fawning media and superfans lording it over the football world. Not anymore.

To the game; Liverpool were unplayable in the first half. The second goal was special. The last few minutes were also interesting as the through beating Man U had just had was laid bare. Fernandes crassly fouling TAA, and Sideshow Bob booting all and sundry. Watching Milner giving Maguire some stick for it was funny.

• Like 1

This involves Burnley but I'll put it here as there's a general point regarding players using concussion protocol's to their advantage.  

Just before Burnley scored their first they had a shot that a Southampton defender blocked with his head. Said defender fell over then started waving his arms about to try and get the game stopped. The ref ignored it so he got up and got back in position just in time to see Roberts' goal. The player didn't look like he was suffering at all.

Something in the same vein happened last night in the Arsenal-Chelsea match. Arsenal were on the attack, crossed one in which was headed back to Arsenal by Azpilicueta. He too immediately went down clutching his head. The ref stopped play, and the attack was stopped. 

I'm not minimising concussions at all as they are far too underreported but both incidents struck me as disingenuous.  

Whilst I'm on it, it was rich to see Guardiola going ape during the Liverpool match when a Liverpool player "tactically" fouled a City player who was galloping toward goal. He invented it. He should be the last to complain.

13 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

This involves Burnley but I'll put it here as there's a general point regarding players using concussion protocol's to their advantage.  

Just before Burnley scored their first they had a shot that a Southampton defender blocked with his head. Said defender fell over then started waving his arms about to try and get the game stopped. The ref ignored it so he got up and got back in position just in time to see Roberts' goal. The player didn't look like he was suffering at all.

Something in the same vein happened last night in the Arsenal-Chelsea match. Arsenal were on the attack, crossed one in which was headed back to Arsenal by Azpilicueta. He too immediately went down clutching his head. The ref stopped play, and the attack was stopped. 

I'm not minimising concussions at all as they are far too underreported but both incidents struck me as disingenuous.  

Whilst I'm on it, it was rich to see Guardiola going ape during the Liverpool match when a Liverpool player "tactically" fouled a City player who was galloping toward goal. He invented it. He should be the last to complain.

I don’t think he invented it but he’s certainly popularised it.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t think he invented it but he’s certainly popularised it.

You are right, cynical fouls have been around forever. Guardiola took it and integrated it into the way his teams played. His Barcelona sides were notorious for it. If they lost the ball it was an almost guarantee than within seconds the whistle would blow for an opposition free kick. 

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

You are right, cynical fouls have been around forever. Guardiola took it and integrated it into the way his teams played. His Barcelona sides were notorious for it. If they lost the ball it was an almost guarantee than within seconds the whistle would blow for an opposition free kick. 

Yep - and I don’t mind it, it’s clever play so though annoying when it’s done ‘to you’ it works. It’s his hypocrisy that gets me, all that ‘beautiful game bull’. The beauty in this game is winning, however you can. As it goes I’m one of those dinosaurs that finds tiki taka a touch dull at times so what do I know. 

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Yep - and I don’t mind it, it’s clever play so though annoying when it’s done ‘to you’ it works. It’s his hypocrisy that gets me, all that ‘beautiful game bull’. The beauty in this game is winning, however you can. As it goes I’m one of those dinosaurs that finds tiki taka a touch dull at times so what do I know. 

Done correctly Tiika taka is a joy to watch . The problem people have is choosing how the game should be played in a pretentious manner. As much as I applaud and love watching a pep team it’s equally as fun seeing the ball ping round the box from a long ball to be scrappily put over the line. Both can be enjoyed and admired.

elegant skill and driven desire are both enjoyable and admirable watches 

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

That's what irked me about Guardiola's reaction. His team would have done exactly the same thing if the opposition were on the attack and he'd have applauded it as smart football. 

3 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Done correctly Tiika taka is a joy to watch . The problem people have is choosing how the game should be played in a pretentious manner. As much as I applaud and love watching a pep team it’s equally as fun seeing the ball ping round the box from a long ball to be scrappily put over the line. Both can be enjoyed and admired.

elegant skill and driven desire are both enjoyable and admirable watches 

Barcelona playing tiki taka was great to watch as there was so much skill and organisation involved in making it work. I didn't see much of it but Mowbray's Rovers doing it was nowhere near, nor was it effective.

I enjoy watching Simeone's Atletico play. It's a style that grates but they are so well drilled that it is worth watching.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

As it goes I’m one of those dinosaurs that finds tiki taka a touch dull at times so what do I know. 

I'm with you there. I found peps Barcelona a bit boring in some games. The ball was largely passed around midfield for 5-10mins before an electric minute where the ball ends up in the back of the net. Rinse and repeat. Much prefer Liverpools style. 

I also don't like how every team now tries to play out from the back because pep does it. What's wrong with 2 banks of 4 and the goalkeeper clearing a ball into row z like the good old days. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

That first goal they conceded was comical

It was absolutely pathetic, wasn’t it?

A cross comes over, Varane misses it, then Telles the exact same. Saka has all the time in the world to pick his spot, then De Gea pulls off a good save and palms it into the path of Arsenal’s reserve left back who will never have an easier chance to bag! Almost too easy. They needed a response after a humbling in the week and just like us vs Stoke, they got one, just the exact opposite of what they needed….

11 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

It was absolutely pathetic, wasn’t it?

A cross comes over, Varane misses it, then Telles the exact same. Saka has all the time in the world to pick his spot, then De Gea pulls off a good save and palms it into the path of Arsenal’s reserve left back who will never have an easier chance to bag! Almost too easy. They needed a response after a humbling in the week and just like us vs Stoke, they got one, just the exact opposite of what they needed….

Genuinely couldn't believe I was watching a premier League team defending like that.

On 19/04/2022 at 23:45, den said:

I remember them being relegated.

Yeah. Man Utd played York City in two league matches. How the mighty have fallen. (York that is).

On 22/04/2022 at 19:51, speeeeeeedie said:

Barcelona playing tiki taka was great to watch as there was so much skill and organisation involved in making it work. I didn't see much of it but Mowbray's Rovers doing it was nowhere near, nor was it effective.

Rovers haven't got Iniesta playing for them; one of the greatest midfield players of all time.

• Like 1