BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (a) 11/10/2022

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

I remember first seeing Sherwood in a Rovers' shirt - I thought wtf, we've signed a real southern poser here!

Although Sherwood grew into his Rovers' career, it was clear early doors there was some real talent in there.

Ha ha, that takes me back to a blustery Tuesday night at Vale Park, March '92. Awful performance and Sherwood took the brunt of my disappointment. I was fuming by the end of the game. 5 million spent, and 1 win in 9. 

A tough night, but made Home Park, then the Baseball ground, and Wembley all the sweeter....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

Have to disagree as this season's Championship is the weakest I can recall for some times.  It's almost laughable we are within 3 points of the top two 

We are also the weakest we've been for sometime, nowhere near the side that performed so well until injuries and suspensions kicked in last season. If we finish mid-table we'll have done well this season, one of two injuries in key positions and we are knackered. 

I hate to say this, but Wigan win tonight's game 2-1 (Fingers crossed we can manager a draw)

Edited by Gav

23 minutes ago, Gav said:

We are also the weakest we've been for sometime, nowhere near the side that performed so well until injuries and suspensions kicked in last season.

Really?  Lenihan been replaced by a better player, Nyambe hasn't been missed.

Probably Rothwell is our biggest miss but we are doing OK.  Morton and Wharton are good enough for central mid. The dreadful Bucko has rightfully been demoted to the stiffs...

I'd say we are as good if not better.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'll assume that you aren't being serious. 

I don't get to watch many games, however, in 2022, they've tended to lose when I do. It has included Mowbray's final death spiral, and the random nature of JDT's current team performances.

Of course I'm joking.

Sometimes, when one lives abroad, one loses one's British sense of humour. I know I did when I was abroad for 7 years.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Probably Rothwell is our biggest miss but we are doing OK.  Morton and Wharton are good enough for central mid. The dreadful Bucko has rightfully been demoted to the stiffs...

Let's not take Tony Mowbrays name in vain, it might come back to haunt us. There are next home fixture.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gav said:

We are also the weakest we've been for sometime, nowhere near the side that performed so well until injuries and suspensions kicked in last season. If we finish mid-table we'll have done well this season, one of two injuries in key positions and we are knackered. 

I hate to say this, but Wigan win tonight's game 2-1 (Fingers crossed we can manager a draw)

We performed for about 3 months last season and we have more points now than we did with this many games last season. 

It also has to be taken into account that we had to replace many starters from last season's team.Your hero Tony was advising key members of staff they would be better off going elsewhere what's the bets he was saying similar to key players when it became evident he wouldn't be getting a new contract.

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

What do you expect him to say?

‘Yeah, just cracking on until me and my agent can coin it in next summer’

😁

Why don’t you believe what he says

BBD has said he loves his time with rovers and wants to stay to help get promote. Always so cynical matty. I trust what he says 

• Like 1

Since we won at Wigan on 1st January 2007 we have played there a further 12 times without a single win, losing 10 with 2 draws 

2 points from 12 games over a 15 year period with enough data there to make me think we don't do very well there, putting it politely, against a team who mostly have been below our standard of player.

Imo, the main reason for this that Wigan have usually succeeded in bullying us with sides that contain a few outright animals and a team that kicks anything that moves.

We are in for a tough night but we are way overdue a win and Rovers are certainly good enough IF they are up for what will be a fight, that is a certainty.

This time around I do fancy us to come home with all the points.

As an aside I cannot stand the Wigan football side, never have but I like the Town.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

BBD has said he loves his time with rovers and wants to stay to help get promote. Always so cynical matty. I trust what he says 

It's not that he doesnt believe him. It's just that  if he is professional Brereton cannot possibly say anything else really.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Since we won at Wigan on 1st January 2007 we have played there a further 12 times without a single win, losing 10 with 2 draws 

2 points from 12 games over a 15 year period with enough data there to make me think we don't do very well there, putting it politely, against a team who mostly have been below our standard of player.

Imo, the main reason for this that Wigan have usually succeeded in bullying us with sides that contain a few outright animals and a team that kicks anything that moves.

We are in for a tough night but we are way overdue a win and Rovers are certainly good enough IF they are up for what will be a fight, that is a certainty.

This time around I do fancy us to come home with all the points.

As an aside I cannot stand the Wigan football side, never have but I like the Town.

It's not quite as appalling as that - we got a couple of extra draws to go with all the losses!

Still an absolutely disgraceful record though. Things never seem to go our way in that fixture. Red cards, either deserved (Hanley punching McLean) or not (Emerton & Bennett). Individual shockers that simply can't be accounted for (Pears), last minute goals, them seeming to score from every chance they get. 

Like you, I fancy us tonight despite the record. We've got the better side on paper. Score first and I can see us winning by a couple. 

1-3 Rovers. 

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

If Diaz had said as well, that he had just signed a new contract, it would be more believeable.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's on ESPN in the USA so I'll see the game. Expect another defeat, Rovers winning percentage when I watch is atrocious.  

Did you know ESPN dies an On Demand where you can see the game after the fact.  Just found this out will save me a bundle in missed wages.

2 hours ago, bazza said:

Of course I'm joking.

Sometimes, when one lives abroad, one loses one's British sense of humour. I know I did when I was abroad for 7 years.

Well, I've never lived abroad, but have a pal from schooldays of the Claret persuasion. He emigrated to NZ 50 years ago and still has no sense of humour when I use the phrase Lancashire's Most Historic Football Club when referring to Rovers!

The sad thing for him is that the friend he plays golf with in NZ is Blue & white through and through!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

It's not quite as appalling as that - we got a couple of extra draws to go with all the losses!

Still an absolutely disgraceful record though. Things never seem to go our way in that fixture. Red cards, either deserved (Hanley punching McLean) or not (Emerton & Bennett). Individual shockers that simply can't be accounted for (Pears), last minute goals, them seeming to score from every chance they get. 

Like you, I fancy us tonight despite the record. We've got the better side on paper. Score first and I can see us winning by a couple. 

1-3 Rovers. 

Not forgetting a Marcus Bent hat-trick. He scored 7 league goals for Wigan - 3 vs Rovers on one crazy afternoon.

Had my flu/covid jabs last night so feeling really foggy, fluey and sore today. Also had a bit of a slap in the face with regards to some work so it's not a good day so far. I can only assume Rovers are going to put the shitty cherry on the cake tonight. Hopefully they prove me wrong and brighten up my day!

• Like 1

I can feel our W-L-W-L coming to an end tonight. Can see us snatching a scrappy 1-0. 

Same team as the weekend other than Put Brittain back in at RWB and replace Gallagher with Hedges. 

Need to be solid and match their physicality, as football wise we should be superior. 

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Thats all conjecture, my eyes don't deceive me watching us live week in week out.

This side has been hammered several times so far this season, worse than anything I've seen in recent years (Including Fulham) especially Sheff Utd away and Luton, Cardiff was poor too, we never laid a finger on Bristol City home either. 

Right now we are weaker than we've been in a long time in my opinion, the manager needs time to rebuild and its some building job he's got!

Edited by Gav