Neal

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Wasn't Eastwood crap?

He had an absolute worldie game vs Boro, infact it is probably the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen live. Apart from that I remember him being pretty steady away.

5 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Happy to loan this lad but Mowbray has a history of not playing loan players or not playing them in their correct position.

Ironically with Adarabioyo, he will almost certainly "play" (if used) in his "best" position (CB). With all the new attacking and midfield signings made, Mowbray knows that the only place where he can now shoehorn Bennett is RB... who we know has to start.

What I wouldn't give for a manager who I actually trusted to play his best players through choice.

46 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

We were told at the last consultation meeting by both Steve Waggott and Mike Cheston that it would be tight with regard to FFP by next summer.

Even more concerning then that we've allowed such substantial transfer funds to be tied up in two players unlikely to feature very much. 

I personally find it incomprehensible that having witnessed what we did last season, particularly from December through to March, that we are sat here 12 days before the season starts with a weaker defence than we had last season.

I find it unacceptable that having sold Raya almost 3 weeks ago with a sale progressing well before that we're still waiting to address that area.

I don't demand big money be spent and dont accept spending money is a risk to the club's future. That depends on how the owners intend to cover it. But I do expect whatever resources we have should be allocated to improve the team immediately and not on long term projects to try and sell on for a big profit down the line.

There are two sides to FFp. Beyond cost cutting and balancing spending there is increasing income. Waggott's failed season ticket policy is a big problem and he appears to have made little progress on that front.

I also don't accept that 'at least it isn't as bad as at Bolton or Bury' is a reason to be positive or grateful. The situation at Bury is very different to that at Rovers and whilst the Bolton one is more similar they are at the extreme end of the scale. Setting our stall on avoiding ending up in their state isn't going to get the club anywhere.

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Wasn't Eastwood crap?

Done well for Oxford.

I'll never forgive him for not volleying in that equaliser vs Liverpool.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Ruddy... to lad from Wigan and Simon Eastwood.

Yeah. Shades of Riquelme to Petrovic back in the day

Just now, Biz said:

My overriding memory is Scott Dann berating him and being 3-0 to Birmingham at home.

I remember him missing that golden chance in the injury time to equalize against Liverpool

Walton and Simon Eastwood.

This is a joke, no?

If true. Love to hear people saying that selling Raya wasn't a mistake now. 

Raya and Leutwiler over Walton (loan) and Eastwood. No contest.

Tin-Pot Tony.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Ironically with Adarabioyo, he will almost certainly "play" (if used) in his "best" position (CB). With all the new attacking and midfield signings made, Mowbray knows that the only place where he can now shoehorn Bennett is RB... who we know has to start.

What I wouldn't give for a manager who I actually trusted to play his best players through choice.

If he persists with Benno at right back, this lad will be recalled by Xmas.

Fairly obvious, as alluded to by TM, that the sale of Raya was a necessity and nothing to do with ‘wanting experience and a keeper with game management’

£3 million into the budget, and replace him with a lad of the same age on loan and a cheap, back up journeyman.

Edited by Mattyblue

Mowbary just can't attract decent players. He's a dinosaur of a manager. This season is only going one way and it isn't up

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Walton and Simon Eastwood.

This is a joke, no?

If true. Love to hear people saying that selling Raya wasn't a mistake now. 

Raya and Leutwiler over Walton (loan) and Eastwood. No contest.

Tin-Pot Tony.

I have no likes left but spot on

This isn’t good , I can only assume that things really haven’t went to plan. Certainly Walton is one that’s just been worked on very recently and to my belief after our number one target became non viable. Martínez was the name I was given, loan to buy. Was progressing nicely but went quiet, I can only assume it hit a roadblock that wasn’t sortable. Not at all pleased with Walton and Eastwood if that’s what it turns out to be 

Just now, rovers11 said:

That would make sense. Walton is surely not coming here to sit on the bench; and Eastwood is an experienced, cheap option who won’t mind being a back-up GK. 

We've already got an experienced cheaper option who doesn't mind being back up. I don't see why we seem to have an obsession with signing 2 goalkeepers, we have other areas in the starting 11 that need addressing much more urgently than which goal keeper sits on the bench. Leutwiler is a decent back up and if you look around the league he is really about the standard of most other sides back up keeper's.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

This isn’t good , I can only assume that things really haven’t went to plan. Certainly Walton is one that’s just been worked on very recently and to my belief after our number one target became non viable. Martínez was the name I was given, loan to buy. Was progressing nicely but went quiet, I can only assume it hit a roadblock that wasn’t sortable. Not at all pleased with Walton and Eastwood if that’s what it turns out to be 

Martinez from Arsenal?

As per Assombalonga we were never going to get Forster or Hart, but the rumours were fun for the fans.

Always going to be some bargain aisle solution as the window shuts.

Just now, Tugay-is-God said:

Martinez from Arsenal?

Yea, at 26 he was seen as one to come in with more experience and make position his for years to come. As others have said if Eastwood is to come in as backup only what’s the point. I’d rather have somebody decent who could challenge for the position

Just now, rovers11 said:

That would make sense. Walton is surely not coming here to sit on the bench; and Eastwood is an experienced, cheap option who won’t mind being a back-up GK. 

We already have an experienced and cheap back up in Leutwiler who recently signed a new 12 month deal.

It makes no sense at all to me.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Yea, at 26 he was seen as one to come in with more experience and make position his for years to come. As others have said if Eastwood is to come in as backup only what’s the point. I’d rather have somebody decent who could challenge for the position

Maybe Walton will be loan to buy?

Either way its pretty underwhelming.

On 18/07/2019 at 14:43, Paul Mani said:

In Tony we trust? It’s the same as always. I’ve said it before, most just taking longer to see nowt has changed. He’s a spin doctor and a very good one at that!! 

30 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Pedro , you do know that Wigan dropped Walton last year after a series of high profile cock ups that were down to him?  Not sure this is a material upgrade tbh and certainly not what folk expected when throwing names around like Forster, Hart, Adrian, etc. Lets hope there is better to come in the GK dept but I have my doubts that this fella would be coming to warm our bench.

Sounds familiar - We had our own master of cock ups who eventually got dropped too 😁. He's definitely an upgrade in my opinion and I do prefer seeing a bigger physical presence between the sticks. I do think he will come in as a replacement for Leutweiller though, probably with a view to buy and JW will be sent elsewhere. I fully expect an experienced freebie come in or a long term loan.