BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

15 hours ago, Gav said:

As for Neill, he's just been sacked from Preston.......I'll let that settle in for a minute, Preston........Abject failure in anyone's book, is that actually the height of your ambition Rev?

Not really, Neill wouldn't be my first choice but he's generally done better than your hero Mowbray whilst he's been at Preston and on a fraction of the budget.

So if it was a straight choice between Neill and Mowbray I'd take the former every day of the week, plus Mowbray went stale here about 2.5 years ago and we'd probably benefit from almost any new voice.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

Correct, and therein lies the problem.  Wouldn't trust them to find their arse with both hands, never mind a competent manager.  They stumbled upon Mowbray and he's been the best of a really poor bunch.

I'd say Bowyer did better overall and did a LOT better in the transfer market than Mowbray but even he wasn't good enough in the final analysis.

• Like 3

Maggot in the telegraph today on contract situation. Looks like Nyambie, Rothwell are going, Lenihan possible. I think they are putting all their eggs in Diaz’s basket. Also looking like Mowbray is here for the foreseeable I predict a 12 rolling contract. Neil, Wilder can look elsewhere they ain’t coming here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Venky's certainly haven't (yet) a top class manager is almost all that would be needed to transform our fortunes although it has to be said the sheer incompetence of Waggott means that a change of CEO would likely be necessary as well.

Venkys never will Simon (Agnew, Shaw, Singh, Waggot, Kean, Appleton, Berg, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray)

You've always been a staunch supporter of the Venky regime, I don't know anyone else that falls into that category, your loyalty has been unwavering.

Why is that?

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

Correct, and therein lies the problem.  Wouldn't trust them to find their arse with both hands, never mind a competent manager.  They stumbled upon Mowbray and he's been the best of a really poor bunch.

I wouldn’t even call him the best. Bowyer did more in less time and he was garbage.  What does that say about Mowbray 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

Maggot in the telegraph today on contract situation. Looks like Nyambie, Rothwell are going, Lenihan possible. I think they are putting all their eggs in Diaz’s basket. Also looking like Mowbray is here for the foreseeable I predict a 12 rolling contract. Neil, Wilder can look elsewhere they ain’t coming here.

Can't blame them way.Mowbary has dicked em around.  Nyambe will go on to be a very.good.player.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jimmy612 said:

Chaddy, you seem to make the mistake of thinking that our playing staff or management should share the same blind faith, sentiment and loyalty towards Rovers as the fans.  Crikey, you even did it with Obafemi to an extent... berating him for not jumping in to a move with both feet.

Allardyce' relationship with Rovers (and probably any of his employers) is purely business. He was brought in to keep the club in the PL and keep the TV money coming in - in exchange he was probably paid well. 
His final transfer window (Summer 2010), following a 10th placed finish saw him spend not a single penny in transfer fees, having to rely on the signings of Benjani on a free and Mame Biram Diouf on loan.  In fact, in 09/10 and 10/11 (Kean January signings apart), Rovers were the third lowest spenders in the PL (and yes, I'm including relegated teams from both seasons).  The likes of Burnley, Hull and WBA all spent at least one of those seasons in the Championship and still outspent us. 

Wigan spent £27m in those two seasons, Stoke £42m, Sunderland £67m, Wolves £35m, Hull and Burnley spent £18m.... we spent £11m - we finished above every single one of them in 09/10.  

The purse strings were tied shut - none of the Walkers liked football, none of them wanted Rovers, none of them had any ambition for the club and Allardyce was their way of spending nothing and keeping the cash coming in.  Excuse him for considering alternative employment that would have meant far less work and far more money to live out in Dubai - a place we know he loves.

A lot of his detractors told us that the problem wasn't sacking Allardyce, it was the appointment of Kean.... but I can't think of too many managers that could have outperformed or even matched his performance with no money.   Suggestions at the time were O'Neill (spent £92m at Villa the two seasons before his sacking... finished 6th both seasons), Holloway (FFS), Martin Jol (spent £25m in two seasons at Fulham and finished 9th and 12th respectively) and COYLE 😂

Oh and finally, here are the thoughts of two of Rovers' senior players regards Venky's decision to sack him. 

"I am devastated for Sam, he had an absolutely fantastic relationship with all of the players.

Everyone respected him. He took the club out of the doldrums really. We were in massive trouble with no money. He solidified us and put us into a top-10 position, and again he did it on a shoe-string.

I'm just getting over the shock of it. We've got to get over it, but at the moment I want to say, and I can speak for nearly all the players I'm sure, that they will be devastated. He was a very likeable character."

Ryan Nelsen

“I am not going to lie. I was horrified. I was captain and a big figure at the club. When you look at the budget table, we were probably close to the bottom. We were overachieving.  Sometimes it was not the prettiest football but I don’t care as long as we win. There had been some whispers at the club about Sam leaving. It was very disappointing for most of the dressing room."

Chris Samba

Excellent post, one of the most succinct I have seen for a long time.

1 hour ago, Jimmy612 said:

A lot of his detractors told us that the problem wasn't sacking Allardyce, it was the appointment of Kean.... but I can't think of too many managers that could have outperformed or even matched his performance with no money.   Suggestions at the time were O'Neill (spent £92m at Villa the two seasons before his sacking... finished 6th both seasons), Holloway (FFS), Martin Jol (spent £25m in two seasons at Fulham and finished 9th and 12th respectively) and COYLE 😂

Sam Allardyce was exposed in all his glory when he was forced to resign from the England job, practices that were detrimental to any football club he'd managed, I'll leave the rest to your imagination, not what we want at our club.

The part I've highlighted above is an extremely valid answer to the question posed, we had billionaire owners, promising big signings, big budgets and European elite level players, a very rational answer to promises made.

I'll also remind you the fans never sacked Allardyce, the owners did. 

The rest of your post I whole hearted agree with. 

Venkys out.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Venkys never will Simon (Agnew, Shaw, Singh, Waggot, Kean, Appleton, Berg, Bowyer, Lambert, Coyle and Mowbray)

You've always been a staunch supporter of the Venky regime, I don't know anyone else that falls into that category, your loyalty has been unwavering.

Why is that?

Naughty Gav.

Insinuating I have some sort of vested interest in them staying.

Actually you nailed it I'm on a six figure retainer to be their unofficial spokesperson.

I realise you're being mischievous but I would have thought the real answer was obvious - if we could ever get proper management in the Boardroom and dugout, we've a lot better chance of success with their financial support than without it.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19601943.tony-mowbray-blackburn-rovers-had-bin-possession-based-style/

I would love to know who the players were that convinced him to play a possession based game last season. Elliot aside I can't think of one. Whilst we were third in the possession 'table' I think most of that possession was in areas where opponents were happy to let us have it and play ten yard passes along the back line ad infinitum.

In my view it's as close to an admission that Mowbray got it horribly wrong last season.

• Like 3

Ah this one again. Its the players fault they cannot play a possession game. It was clear with players like Ayala (who you signed last summer) is not a defender that will pass the ball around. As your rightly say in your latest brainfart for the LT, he is a defenders defender - the type that will win and tackle his way through a match. Why buy him then if he is not good enough for your preferred style? 

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 11:03, Jimmy612 said:

Chaddy, you seem to make the mistake of thinking that our playing staff or management should share the same blind faith, sentiment and loyalty towards Rovers as the fans.  Crikey, you even did it with Obafemi to an extent... berating him for not jumping in to a move with both feet.

I expected Allardyce to some loyalty towards to his present employer at the time. But I don't get this Allardyce love in that still people have with him. He balled up his dream job with England didn't he. 

on Obafemi transfer, what I wanted was decision to be made and for us not to wasting time and chasing someone who had zero interest in coming here. And for us not to be missing out on other targets we could have signed. You might be happy to wait for him to take weeks making decisions but if a few days he can't a decision then I would move on

The purse strings were tied shut - none of the Walkers liked football, none of them wanted Rovers, none of them had any ambition for the club and Allardyce was their way of spending nothing and keeping the cash coming in.  Excuse him for considering alternative employment that would have meant far less work and far more money to live out in Dubai - a place we know he loves.

Yes I know all about the Walker's family not liking football and lack of finances at the club at the time. But wasn't the Walkers family told by Williams/Finn running the club that with the new TV deal coming in and being so much money they didn't need to sell the club. 

Like I said at the time if he wanted to move to Dubai for the extra cash then we should have allowed him to go. 

A lot of his detractors told us that the problem wasn't sacking Allardyce, it was the appointment of Kean..

Plenty of good managers out there at that time. I thought they would have moved to more of overseas set up with director of football/head coach set up. 

Venkys listened to the wrong people at that time

Edited by chaddyrovers

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plenty of good managers out there at that time. I thought they would have moved to more of overseas set up with director of football/head coach set up. 

They did go with that , although an unofficial Director of Football 😉

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

They did go with that , although an unofficial Director of Football 😉

He was so unofficial, he worked through the night free of charge. I’m surprised he hasn’t been knighted, he was so charitable.

• Like 2