BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2021/22 Pre-Season

No complaints with that, a depleted and young team did themselves proud. Raphinia is some talent so don’t want to be to harsh on Pickering but Jesus he didn’t half have his number. Pickering doesn’t look the quickest player either judging from that game. Buckley played well, Dolan lively and Cirino looked promising when he came on. 

• Like 3

Good entertaining game and good to see fans back inside the ground.

Cirino looking sharp and hungry, very positive on the ball

I thought Garrett looked very composed in the centre and I cant remember him making a foot wrong

Pike struggled when he came on, Armstrong greedy and Brereton Diaz looking sharp after his exploits away

No doubt mowbray will come out in the interview and say how bad nyambe was even though he had Harrison in his pocket all game.

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

far to much urgency and forward passing for tony,saturday will see a different formation and less youngsters,they are so flighty y`know😉

We often do it at the beginning of the season for a few games before he reels them in again. Then he can sit down on the bench and count the sideways passes.

Surprised to see the score, as I was expecting a hammering. It seems that Mowbray fielded three centre backs and, presumably, Nyambe and Pickering as wing backs. I feel much more confident with this formation than the 4-2-3-1 that Mowbray put out last season, as it provides some cover to the full backs - and means that Nyambe doesn't have to be right back and centre back at the same time.

As mentioned before, some youngsters must be on the bench first game of the season, with a view to giving them a chance to stake a first team role. There should be no question that McBride and Whitehall or Garrett are there. Now is the time to give them experience having so negligently failed at the end of last and, instead, fielding Bennett, Downing, Evans and Co. who had no future at the club and playing Buckley as a false 9.

As for Dan Pike, I do believe he needs to go out on loan. Some have strongly disagreed with me and I admit to having seen only glimpses of him at RB via streams last season - but he always looked a weak link both defensively and going forward to me. Albeit, he looks physically stronger than others his age.

Leeds fan from one of their boards: "If Valencia are here looking at Costa they'll sign Blackburn's wee left wing sub." Think they're referring to Lenni Cirino.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I really enjoyed that.

Nyambe and Buckley were excellent, Kaminski picking up where he left off. Really impressed with Magloire, the lad is a physical phenomenon and those attributes alone mean he should be in and around the first team not shipped out in favour of other teams kids. Pickering has a lovely left foot but struggled defensively against a tough opponent. Garrett loves a tackle, Cirino looks like one to watch, Dolan was busy first half, and what a hit by McBride… the way he set the ball down it was always flying in! 
Armstrong looked like his head was in Southampton. Oh, and that Diaz lad reminds me a lot of Brereton we had last season.

We’re obviously going to be reliant on a lot of these young lads at times throughout the season. What a shame that during what is probably the academy’s most purple patch since it’s inception, there is such an uninspiring manager at the helm. A dynamic manager with motivational skills might get these lads playing fearlessly and above themselves giving us something to get really excited about.

What a shame that we also seem to be dismantling said academy to pay for some very expensive contracts for questionable signings and contract extensions 😡

• Like 3

We're edging closer and closer to the start of the season with still a heavy emphasis on youth. Whilst it's normal to involve the younger lads pre season it seems a lot more crucial this time out. The team at Bolton should effectively be our starting 11 for the Swansea game so will give an even better idea.

Could it be that after the Brockhall plan went tits up he's been told in no uncertain terms that he can go and bloody well use that academy talent now and no further funds are available? It's not cheap to run and they want some kind of return on it.

Was Barr getting wind of this too and realised half the players he'd worked with last season wouldn't be available this?

Possibly reading too much into it all mind.....

• Like 2

Just fabulous to be back inside Ewood where we were treated to an excellent preseason game. Every player has a decent run out IMO and yes I still want Mowbray and waggot out of my club ! The fans need to rally around the club now together as one without the covtrio

• Like 1

Brereton looked like a new man, amazing what a bit of confidence can do to a forward. Great effort tonight from the whole team. Just need to do the business off the pitch now and get some players in. What impressed me most was how well we defended. But yeah great to be back and bring on Swansea.

15 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Just fabulous to be back inside Ewood where we were treated to an excellent preseason game. Every player has a decent run out IMO and yes I still want Mowbray and waggot out of my club ! The fans need to rally around the club now together as one without the covtrio

Without the “covtrio” we probably would, at least in the short term.

Impossible to “rally around” without it being spun by them as endorsement.

Following Rovers has never been this painful.

A very backs to the wall performance full of determination by an incredibly young side, really impressive and really good to be back in Ewood. That being said, if the squad is anything like that v Swansea, we are in trouble really.

Was looking forward to seeing Pickering and came away underwhelmed. He is rather slow and the admittedly very good Raphinha found it so easy to get past him, and he was very slow and indecisive going forward too. I thought that the wing back formation would suit him but he doesn't seem to be dynamic enough. Nyambe was better although he doesn't really have the end product to be a wing back.

I seem to be in a minority but I thought that Magloire looked out of place, very poor technically. Thought Carter and Lenihan were better.

First chance to look at Kaminski and he is such a steady presence and made a few very good saves, although like last season, his kicking is poor.

Going forward we offered little threat, Buckley was inventive although I am not sure that the position today suited him, some lovely touches though. The formation is an interesting one, not sure if it was done out of necessity due to unavailability or it is something that will be used going forward, I can see pros and cons to it. Davenport full of energy as was Garrett who settled in well although we didnt have the players really to keep the ball. We need strengthening there.

The kids that came on did themselves proud in their cameos.

Have the prices in the concourses gone massively up, a pint of Amstel for a fiver?!

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

so all in all, am glad to be back and regardless of where we finish there are a lot of good young lads that I will happily get behind week in week out no matter who owns us or is in the dugout . I still think it’s going to be a long season where we will struggle to stay up but being back in ewood with the effort those young lads put in reminds me why I’m a rover

COYB

Spot on.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed tonight.  Great to be back.  Impressed by Dolan, Nyambe and Buckley from the off.  Thought Brero looked great when he came on and was happy to see him playing with confidence.  Also thought Cirino looked very assured and composed for a young lad.

Still not confident for what’s coming under Mowbray this season but happy with the performance in general tonight and was brilliant to be back at Ewood.

COYB

(edit: typo)

Edited by mustard
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

We are left hoping Garrett comes out of nowhere and is surprisingly very good. Happened a few times with the likes of Dolan, Travis, Wharton.

Have to say the balance of probablity though is he gets minced by the Leeds midfield.

I guess maybe Mowbray sending a message to the owners?

As has often been the case turns out the kids are actually pretty good....

Always found it a bit strange how we invest in journeymen but the kids seem just as good.

Massive season for Dolan, Buckley, Davenport, Carter, McBride who all will be key players I think. Garrett totally left field (and a former left back) but sort of reminds me of Travis (who was a right back) just slotting in and looking the part.

McBride particularly seeks like the sort of player who will always get a goal. If you think of the likes of Brown or Vardy who have worn the shirt up top but very rarely look like scoring that is invaluable.

Taking a lot of gambles but will be interesting to see how they do if nothing else.

• Like 3