BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Morecambe (h) 10/08/21

5 minutes ago, gumboots said:

What last night showed was that whilst our kids are reasonably skilful and willing they are not ready to face the rigours of Championship football week in, week out without the help and encouragement of some older, more experienced, hard working pros.

It showed me that the young lads are okay against footballing sides who wan't to play and let you play, but can't do it against the rough and tumble. Defeat at the weekend against Millwall beckons, but can see us turning over more footballing sides like Swansea this year.

11 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Morecambe deserved their victory tonight.  Their manager brought on two subs at half-time, switched his formation, and caused us no end of problems.  Mowbray again tried three at the back and once again it failed - just like every other time he's tried it.

This was like so many of last seasons games - slow build-up, passing sideways, backwards and then a long punt upfield to nobody in particular.  

We started brightly but quickly ran out of steam - which is a worry in itself.  We carried little or no threat going forward with the Chilean version of Brereton being replaced by the usual Bambi  version who struggled to keep on his feet and continually gave the ball away.

Without Armstrong's goals I really do fear for us this season.  It's certainly going to be a long hard winter watching this lot.

Far from convinced.  From the games I've seen thus far - admittedly only pre-season and the two games this week, he looks a slightly slower version of Bell.  I thought he was awful tonight and caught out of position far too often.  Going forward he seems to offer very little and his crossing seems just as erratic as Bell. 

That is exactly how I saw it, Parson. My lads thought I was over critical of Brereton, but Bambi sums it up nicely!

The most worrying thing is that TM was "done" by a lower league manager's tactical switch...and as for the sideways backwards stuff, we've seen it all before.

It bodes ill.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

Winning is a great habit to have and winning last night would have given us some momentum going to Millwall which is tough enough anytime. Seeing the players body language as they left the pitch last night told me that their confidence is already affected not just by the result but also by some of their individual performances.

One of the best days in my 55+ years of watching Rovers was in 2002 when we won the Joke Cup. Were you there that day?

Yes i was, also my six year old son, hes always a rovers supporter.

There's no doubt about it in my mind, we're going to struggle massively this season with Mowbray still here. The old failings are still there and he won't change.

Winning is a habit, but so is losing. The habit we have under Mowbray is the latter; he hasn't got it in him to consistently win football matches. 5 or so wins in 20 odd games is a joke.

Looking at the upcoming fixtures, I just can't see us getting many points.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Amazed how bothered people are about this game, the attendance suggested otherwise!

Glad to be out of the joke cup to be honest especially with our threadbare squad.

Admittedly shouldn't be losing to Morecombe with that lineup though, most teams made many changes for it.

The “joke cup” that we won under Graeme Souness and the final in Cardiff was one of the best experiences as a Rovers fan in the past 60 years? The amazing thing is some joker “liked” your post

• Like 9

I’ve just seen the goals on the “ highlights “ reel. That first Morecambe goal, deary me, a  schoolboy team would be embarrassed. Where do you start to allocate the blame for that ?  Who was it said “ put all the players in a big sack and beat the sack with a large stick “ ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Yeah, I get that, but was just wondering if that’s always been the case. 

It was the big competition in Lancashire in the early 20th century according to my Grandad (long deceased). Valued above the FA Cup according to him. Certainly not reserve teams.

• Like 1

You'd think for a club supposedly skint, desperate for extra cash and income and unable to afford to clean Ewood or replace the pitch that the opportunity of a lucrative cup run would be too much to miss out on. Get an away game at United, Liverpool or Arsenal or a home game against one of the 'big 6' and get 30,000 on Ewood.

45% of income to each club.

Seems once again all the talk about no cash doesn't actually marry up with what happens.

We've no money - yet can give out generous deals to Smallwood, Samuel and Leutwiler to do nothing.

We've no money - yet can hire a private jet to Cardiff.

We've no money - yet an opportunity for cup progression at home against Morecambe gets squandered with nothing but a shoulder shrug from our glorious leader.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Mowbray's record in the Cups is abysmal - even worse than his League form if that's possible.

From what I can see from a quick check he has a 100% loss record in the FA Cup going out at the first time of asking four times out of four at the third round stage.

In the League Cup we've got through one round before subsequently going out on three occasions, got knocked out at the first time of asking once last night and have only progressed through two rounds on the one occasion.

To me this just shows a total lack of professionalism and respect for the Club. He sees them as inconvenient extra fixtures which have to be fulfilled. If we were actually mounting a serious assault on promotion that sort of attitude might be OK but when you're only trailing in lower mid table anyway it's completely unacceptable.

In 2017-2018 he actually won two FA Cup matches against Barnet and Crewe as we joined in at the first round that season.

Totally agree though, abysmal record and it is unacceptable.

• Like 1

His martyrdom has engulfed the whole club in the last couple of years there's no winning mentality. So it's no wonder there isn't much appetite for the cup because there isn't much for anything anymore.

It's all about what we can't do rather than what we might be able to do if they aim for it.

Shrug your shoulders and just see what happens, no wonder it's now so clear there's been no forward planning. Just wing it from season to season.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

The best part about last night was Davenport putting his foot in. Think he should be a starter at Millwall! 

I thought that Davenport was really poor when he came on, I think he may be one of those players that gets better in general when he doesnt play.

He is not technically particularly good and he is so rash and ill-disciplined, I can understand the seemingly lack of trust in him, the yellow card was totally avoidable and its not the first time that he has needlessly thrown himself into a challenge, we had them penned in if I recall too.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Mowbray's record in the Cups is abysmal - even worse than his League form if that's possible.

From what I can see from a quick check he has a 100% loss record in the FA Cup going out at the first time of asking four times out of four at the third round stage.

In the League Cup we've got through one round before subsequently going out on three occasions, got knocked out at the first time of asking once last night and have only progressed through two rounds on the one occasion.

To me this just shows a total lack of professionalism and respect for the Club. He sees them as inconvenient extra fixtures which have to be fulfilled. If we were actually mounting a serious assault on promotion that sort of attitude might be OK but when you're only trailing in lower mid table anyway it's completely unacceptable.

Can anyone confirm if we have always been knocked out by lower league clubs under him too, or if it has only been most of the time?

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Can anyone confirm if we have always been knocked out by lower league clubs under him too, or if it has only been most of the time?

17-18 - League Cup - 2nd Round -  Burnley (2 leagues higher)

17-18 - FA Cup - 3rd Round - Hull (1 league higher)

18-19 - League Cup - 3rd Round -  Bournemouth (1 league higher)

18-19 - FA Cup -3rd Round -  Newcastle (1 league higher)

19-20 - League Cup - 2nd Round - Sheffield Utd (1 league higher)

19-20 - FA Cup - 3rd Round - Birmingham (same league)

20-21 - League Cup - 2nd Round - Newcastle (1 league higher)

20-21 - FA Cup - 3rd Round - Doncaster (1 league lower)

21-22 - League Cup - 1st Round - Morecambe (1 league lower)

Better than I thought in fairness, just the last two where he has lost to lower league opposition.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GHR said:

Did anyone there last night get a good view of our penalty shout right at the death? I thought it was one but didn't have a great angle at all (was in JWU). Annoyed a few fans to say the least!

I thought it was as much a pen as a lot I've seen and I was pretty much in line with it.  Certainly most in the BBE near me thought it was but then at that point we'd have shouted for anything I think.  I was surprised not to see it mentioned anywhere else.  

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

17-18 - League Cup - 2nd Round -  Burnley (2 leagues higher)

17-18 - FA Cup - 3rd Round - Hull (1 league higher)

18-19 - League Cup - 3rd Round -  Bournemouth (1 league higher)

18-19 - FA Cup -3rd Round -  Newcastle (1 league higher)

19-20 - League Cup - 2nd Round - Sheffield Utd (1 league higher)

19-20 - FA Cup - 3rd Round - Birmingham (same league)

20-21 - League Cup - 2nd Round - Newcastle (1 league higher)

20-21 - FA Cup - 3rd Round - Doncaster (1 league lower)

21-22 - League Cup - 1st Round - Morecambe (1 league lower)

Better than I thought in fairness, just the last two where he has lost to lower league opposition.

Huh, much better than I thought. Jars with how I thought I remembered things but fair enough. We must have just made hard work of lower league teams. That and the last two knockouts must have messed with my memory.

5 hours ago, Boroblue said:

I’ve hesitated to comment because I feel like I have become repetitive but I can’t resist. Nearly 5 years and we are still experimenting. Players come and go but nothing changes accept a different excuse. I won’t list these. Downing gave us an insight into the quality of his leadership. The players must be stunned he’s still here and their respect for his ideas I think is reflected in their attitude and application on the pitch. Losing to a lower league team in the cup can happen it’s what makes it exciting but for Rovers it’s a reflection of the general malaise that has settled over the club. 

I have never been so sure that this season is a disaster waiting to happen. I went against Swansea and it was their failings that gave us victory. I will continue to attend but it is sickening to watch a manager whose opinion of himself far outstrips his ability.

COYB

My feelings post Swansea win summed up how I feel at the moment - not 3 points towards a promotion push, but three points to avoid relegation.

• Like 4