BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Morecambe (h) 10/08/21

Morecambe deserved their victory tonight.  Their manager brought on two subs at half-time, switched his formation, and caused us no end of problems.  Mowbray again tried three at the back and once again it failed - just like every other time he's tried it.

This was like so many of last seasons games - slow build-up, passing sideways, backwards and then a long punt upfield to nobody in particular.  

We started brightly but quickly ran out of steam - which is a worry in itself.  We carried little or no threat going forward with the Chilean version of Brereton being replaced by the usual Bambi  version who struggled to keep on his feet and continually gave the ball away.

Without Armstrong's goals I really do fear for us this season.  It's certainly going to be a long hard winter watching this lot.

10 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I take it you're not convinced by Pickering, Parson?

Far from convinced.  From the games I've seen thus far - admittedly only pre-season and the two games this week, he looks a slightly slower version of Bell.  I thought he was awful tonight and caught out of position far too often.  Going forward he seems to offer very little and his crossing seems just as erratic as Bell. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

There’s no way Tony sees this season out. 

As much as I want rid of Mowbray it's more important that Waggott is removed. The latest rumour of the training ground sale and leasing back makes this the most pressing matter at the club.

• Like 7

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Far from convinced.  From the games I've seen thus far - admittedly only pre-season and the two games this week, he looks a slightly slower version of Bell.  I thought he was awful tonight and caught out of position far too often.  Going forward he seems to offer very little and his crossing seems just as erratic as Bell. 

But Parson, think about the xG. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LDRover said:

As much as I want rid of Mowbray it's more important that Waggott is removed. The latest rumour of the training ground sale and leasing back makes this the most pressing matter at the club.

Funking ell, Cameron and Old Lex Luther will turn up next to factor the deal.....Tesco getting the commission like.

7 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

They are wheeling out the cardboard cutout of the muppet and the tape recording of his standard ‘it was not me, they didn’t follow my instructions”. 

As a leader if your men don't follow your lead logic says you aren't really a leader, therefore bin the lemon drizzle twat

• Backroom

I was out tonight and just caught up on the result, bloody hell that’s a poor do, feel sad for Dolan as the goal would have boosted his confidence followed by a silly mistake.

A worrying tweet I saw from Rich Sharpe suggested that Morecambe changed shape and we couldn’t counter it.

Have to say I also find it slightly disappointing that a big chunk of posts post game are sniping at other fans, I’ve been on the Mowbray Out train a long time but it’s not the fault of other fans who take a different approach 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Without Armstrong's goals I really do fear for us this season.  It's certainly going to be a long hard winter watching this lot.

Yep, surprised every single one of our fans isn’t just as concerned. There’s no chance that Brereton/Gallagher get anywhere near his goals between them this season, and I don’t trust Mowbray whatsoever to bring in a goalscorer, even if he had unlimited funds (let alone our shoestring budget). Reality will really be biting after Millwall, IMO.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

Can't have that Morecambe deserved to win that game, we should have been out of sight in the first half really. In isolation the performance wasn't that bad it's just frustrating that we can't seem to shake the habit of conceding soft goals. One thing is for sure we need four or five quality players adding to the squad if we are to have much hope of finishing anywhere beyond mid-table this season in my opinion. 

Agree with most of the comments here re the match. We started brightly, missed too many chances, got the goal that should have steadied any nerves and should have gone on to win. However, in the second half they went very direct, had some powerful runners, got a couple of lucky bounces and suddenly their tails are up and they score. After that we messed about, playing round the box, back to the keeper, messed up almost every pass and we all knew what was coming. And, to compound the misery, the ladies toilets were blocked and couldn't be flushed. At least I don't have a season ticket. 

Edited by gumboots

Absolutely shit, horrendous performance from basically our first 11 against a much changed Morecambe side. We lost and could have no complaints, and the 3 at the back needs to go in the bin. Swansea played right into the hands of our limited team, wont be like that most weeks.

2 issues that I worried about before the season were evident today. Firstly, there is very little quality in attacking positions, without Armstrong, there are very few goals. There is very little quality in general, a lack of technical ability and a lack of intelligence. Just little things like passes played behind players, making them check back or having to get the ball out from their feet. That team tonight is our first team and its piss poor. 

Also, the team is too young, a blatant lack of experience and adding kids will only make that worse. Any sign of a loss and I dont see character to turn it around.

What is there to be excited about?

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Tom said:

I was out tonight and just caught up on the result, bloody hell that’s a poor do, feel sad for Dolan as the goal would have boosted his confidence followed by a silly mistake.

A worrying tweet I saw from Rich Sharpe suggested that Morecambe changed shape and we couldn’t counter it.

Have to say I also find it slightly disappointing that a big chunk of posts post game are sniping at other fans, I’ve been on the Mowbray Out train a long time but it’s not the fault of other fans who take a different approach 

iv`e seen countless teams change their shape and mowbray has`nt a clue about how to counter it,we can`t deal with direct football and we can`t deal with sides that sit back and wait for the acres of space that appear between our midfield and defence,we`ve been done dozens of times by those two,if our manager who was a trenchant defender can`t see what i can see then he really should take a long look at himself,stop trying to play possesion football with players who ar`nt good enough,give them simple instructions and one job to do

Losing to Morecambe is poor but not half as embarrassing and shocking as losing to Oxford United (captain one Ron Atkinson) in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1964. 

We were near the top of the first division (Premier League) and Oxford in the 4th division (IIRC). It was truly shocking

Read this and try to think how it felt to be a Rovers fan then. Losing to Morecambe is a minor inconvenience, trust me

There's a brilliant Pathe News film of the match about halfway down

https://www.thegiantkillers.co.uk/1964oxfordunited.htm

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, J*B said:

There’s no way Tony sees this season out. 

I’ve been saying that he’d get sacked this season for a while, his compo payout will get smaller and smaller as we get to May.

5 wins in 22 competitive games is it?

Millwall next.

I thought Brereton had a dreadful game, he lacks composure and even with little 5 yard passes he either passes it behind the player or too short, neither into their stride. More often than not he has very little positive influence on a game for all of the hype he has got for his Chile appearances, does anyone really see him scoring plenty of goals this season?

Pickering was poor, doesnt look comfortable defending and for someone hyped up for his crossing, they tend to be loopy and aimless in the main and straight at the keeper. Obviously for the goal his cross took a noticeable deflection. Lets hope he massively improves soon.

Also a word for Davenport who was all over the place when he came on, as he often is and maybe showed why there doesnt seem to be much trust in him. Needlessly aggressive and lacking in discipline.

Magloire again looked out of place and Butterworth didnt get involved once he came on. Rothwell didnt really get involved again and Travis is really limited on the ball.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Losing to Morecambe is poor but not half as embarrassing and shocking as losing to Oxford United (captain one Ron Atkinson) in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1964. 

We were near the top of the first division (Premier League) and Oxford in the 4th division (IIRC). It was truly shocking

Read this and try to think how it felt to be a Rovers fan then. Losing to Morecambe is a minor inconvenience, trust me

There's a brilliant Pathe News film of the match about halfway down

https://www.thegiantkillers.co.uk/1964oxfordunited.htm

I remember the result coming through and not believing it. 

That's a very good quality film clip but 'Mick' didn't sit right

• Like 1