BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Morecambe (h) 10/08/21

I think once those at the club had checked out the family and company that had been presented to them by the nest of vipers acting for them. Then realized they had a huge legit business and were absolutely loaded then at this end they would have done anything to get a deal done.

Hence the mess that followed, they were only interested in the money not the characters. That's where it all fell down.

1 minute ago, martonrover said:

Was the Lancashire Senior Cup a bit like the Manx Cup of a later era, ie a glorified pre-season friendly competition?

It was a cup were teams like Rovers or Bolton  usually played the reserves and teams like Rochdale or Oldham played their first teams. That team was our current first team and Morecambe would have been non league.

The games started in Autumn but the various rounds went on all season.

The previous season we played Burnley in November and drew at the Turf. The replay was in the following March ! We won that game. Played Preston twice later  in March and lost to Barrow in the semi final in April.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Surely the match mentioned from 1967 wasn’t U23’s looking at the team? 

That team that played Morecambe was the first team. Why we did that I don’t know, usually we played our Central League team with the odd first team player coming back from injury. Maybe they were being punished.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hughes before that. He had us flying on the periphery of qualification for the Champions League.

Allardyce by his own admission is a Red Adaire keep teams up type merchant.

An I misunderstood, I right you were saying that our demise stems from Venky's not supporting the manager. 

Yeah, they'd just had enough, and they just wanted rid abf they didn't care what happened afterwards. They should be don't is shame right about now. 

PS, how long ago was red Adair now 🤣 

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Lancashire Senior Cup  5th Dec 1967.

Rovers 1 - Morecambe 2

Rovers

Blacklaw

Coxon, Clayton ( sub Sharples ), Coddington, Wilson

Ferguson, Rogers, Hole, Connelly

Darling, Gilliver

Scorer - Ferguson pen

Att 1,600

I’d suggest that was a worse defeat than tonight’s.

I remember that game Tyrone.  At that time First and Second division clubs fielded their second string and Third and Fourth Division clubs fielded their first team.  On the back of a defeat, Quigley selected the First team - partly to build up a bit of confidence - and they crashed to a defeat.  Got to say that was a far superior side than the one we have at present.  What would I give for that midfield - plus a proper left-back who could tackle and defend!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I remember that game Tyrone.  At that time First and Second division clubs fielded their second string and Third and Fourth Division clubs fielded their first team.  On the back of a defeat, Quigley selected the First team - partly to build up a bit of confidence - and they crashed to a defeat.  Got to say that was a far superior side than the one we have at present.  What would I give for that midfield - plus a proper left-back who could tackle and defend!

I don’t remember it at all matey, I’m just quoting the Jackman book

This one puts in context

15 Oct 2007

Rovers 5 - Morecambe 1

Rovers

Arestidou

Taylor, Bateson, Winnard, Berner

Treacy ( Judge ), O’Keefe, Hodge, Peter

Ritgers ( Clarke ), De Vita ( Haworth ) 

Scorers Treacy 2, De Vita 2, Ritgers 1

I’ve never heard of half of those yet they battered a Morecambe side.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

A lot of hope and belief from Saturday snuffed out as Mowbray is out thought tactically by Morecambe. What a turn around over the 90 minutes, looked like it would be a walkover at the start. An all too familiar pattern from last season as we lost our way badly yet again and individual performances visibly dipped.

10 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

For everyones sanity do not read Tombolas post match 😫

I never do, or watch the videos, he makes me sick. 

He’s as bad as Kean. Actually he’s worse, he won’t walk like Kean did. 

• Like 3