BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Middlesbrough (h) - 24/1/22

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t recall Nyambe ever playing left back. Having said that I’d expect a professional full back to be able to play on the other flank but it just doesn’t happen these days.

Yes - but Nyambe is incredibly right sided. It's hard to visualise him at left full back.

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Great question posted on Twitter. Khadra wins a last minute penalty tonight, who do you have taking it?

If mentally he's in a decent place, Gallagher. I've no illusions about the negative aspects of his game, but for me it's his first touch and game awareness that holds him back. He has the tools to be a good penalty taker in my view.

23 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

If mentally he's in a decent place, Gallagher. I've no illusions about the negative aspects of his game, but for me it's his first touch and game awareness that holds him back. He has the tools to be a good penalty taker in my view.

Khadra strikes the ball very cleanly I have noticed. Plus, if he won the penalty and the main penalty taker is not available, he has earned it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnD said:

What's the chances that TM finds a way to play Gallagher wide right?

Well it'll surely be Gallagher and Khadra 'up top' tonight as there isn't anyone else outside of Butterworth who I can't see him trusting from the start. When I say 'up top' I'd imagine Gallagher will be on the right of the two.

I know we all like a moan about him, but as bare minimum the bloke needs to put in a bloody shift tonight after Wednesday.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Well it'll surely be Gallagher and Khadra 'up top' tonight as there isn't anyone else outside of Butterworth who I can't see him trusting from the start. When I say 'up top' I'd imagine Gallagher will be on the right of the two.

I know we all like a moan about him, but as bare minimum the bloke needs to put in a bloody shift tonight after Wednesday.

One good thing, he’ll be able to wear the same kit as he did last Wednesday, it wouldn’t have needed washing.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yes - but Nyambe is incredibly right sided. It's hard to visualise him at left full back.

Perhaps Nyambe seems incredibly right sided, because he plays on the right ! That shouldn't stop a pro footballer swapping to the left side of the pitch. The question that has been posed by Pickering being injured, is who is best to fill in at left back. The options given where Edun or Nyambe. I would prefer Nyambe, (maybe even Zeefuik).

Edited by rigger

26 minutes ago, rigger said:

Perhaps Nyambe seems incredibly right sided, because he plays on the right ! That shouldn't stop a pro footballer swapping to the left side of the pitch. The question that has been posed by Pickering being injured, is who is best to fill in at left back. The options given where Edun or Nyambe. I would prefer Nyambe, (maybe even Zeefuik).

I don't dispute your point, but Nyambe just seems a very one sided player. I think he would just end up being very easy to turn and get on the outside by the opposition winger. 

I'm sure we will probably persist with Edun, unless either of the new right backs can cover left back. 

I would really prioritise signing a left back, we are absolutely desperate. Or failing that maybe just promote a kid to have a go (Cirino?). Emergency promotions like that have turned out pretty well for us in the past - Travis, Wharton, Raya etc.

I agree Edun is doing the best he can but he's not a left wing back. To easily beat in the air, drifts out of position and gets caught out for pace and agression in the tackle. We're not getting enough from him offensively or defensively.

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

This a big game for us. Some very average performances recently and a shocking result against Hull. Boro are a good team with a very good manager. 

I don't know where the goals are coming from tonight. I fear another 0-2 loss. 

Khadra and Rothwell have looked like scoring recently. More worried about the wing backs. That's where the game will be won or lost imo.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't dispute your point, but Nyambe just seems a very one sided player. I think he would just end up being very easy to turn and get on the outside by the opposition winger. 

I'm sure we will probably persist with Edun, unless either of the new right backs can cover left back. 

I would really prioritise signing a left back, we are absolutely desperate. Or failing that maybe just promote a kid to have a go (Cirino?). Emergency promotions like that have turned out pretty well for us in the past - Travis, Wharton, Raya etc.

I agree Edun is doing the best he can but he's not a left wing back. To easily beat in the air, drifts out of position and gets caught out for pace and agression in the tackle. We're not getting enough from him offensively or defensively.

Cirino is injured, The U18s left back, Batty, looks OK going forward, but not good enough for a first team start yet. I think we are stuck with having to pick someone who can fill-in at left-back, but being picked there doesn't disrupt the rest of the team. 

• Like 1

Feels like a massive game for us. Win and we're looking ahead to the Top 2 again. 

Lose and momentum is gone, and we'll have QPR 2 points behind with 2 games in hand.

Just hope Tony doesn't tinker with it too much. Go back to the successful formation. Nyambe back in and a holding midfielder (ideally Travis).

• Like 1

Huge game tonight. It really will signal what way the momentum is swinging and probably more than any other game, speak volumes about the character of this side. 

I'd be going back to basics.

Kaminski

Lenihan, Van-Hecke, Wharton

Nyambe                                              Edun

Travis, Rothwell

Buckley 

Khadra,               Gallagher 

Everybody knows what their role is and what they are doing. Any attacking switches being like for like. Eg: Zeefuik on for Nyambe but in all honesty the options are limited. Thinking back to Hull last week, not only was the line up all wrong, but the subs felt very much, lets throw the kitchen sink at them which in reality gave us even less structure and even less threat. 

• Like 1

Really struggling to see a full squad tonight especially with under 23s playing too.

Gallagher will probably start with Khadra  although cant see gallagher getting though 90 mins, given his injuries already this season.

It wouldnt surprise me if he brought Johnson in, and played Rothwell further forward, and surprised us all by putting Khadra on the bench, with the plan to swap him for Gallagher after 65 mins.

Looking at the table, this is a must not lose game. Given the loss of Brereton and Dolan (can't really count Markanday not seen enough of him yet) then a point would be deemed a good result, and i suspect we will set up to get just that.

Any more injuries and things could start to de-rail a little. Poveda already out, Clarkson gone back to Liverpool. Nyambe in and out of fitness, with Zeefuik and JRC way off match fitness. 

Pickering (been major miss) being covered by Edun, but no real cover there.

What i'd like to see tonight, is an end to the numerous yellow cards we've picked up for time-wasting, back chat and silly pointless fouls. These will play a big part as the season progresses and we,'ve shown we struggle when we are without just 1 or 2 of our preferred 11.

Looking at things, i really think rovers need to bring at least 3 first team ready players in over the next week, as its only when we are without one or two that the glaring gaps in our squad shines through.

• Like 1