BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Peterborough Utd (a) - 15/4/22

Peterborough United away next and if it weren't for a long-standing commitment to attend this game, I have to say I wouldn't bother making the long trip down the A1.

On the plus side, in 2 previous visits to London Road I've seen Rovers win both times, the first including a Jordan Rhodes hat-trick and one of the most enjoyable days in years standing on an old-fashioned terrace behind the goal under a low roof just like the Darwen End in years gone by. The terrace has gone now but the atmosphere that day was brilliant. 

On the down side, I think the chances of us getting the play-off push back on track with a victory are unlikely after the abysmal showing against Blackpool following on from a series of poor performances.

Posh have had one of two decent results in recent weeks with draws against Luton and away to Bournemouth, and a surprising 3-1 victory at QPR. They may be bottom of the league but, in contrast to Tony Mowbray-inspired Rovers, they clearly haven't given up the fight.

1-1 draw at best. 

• Like 3

We need to winning this game 

This is the way I would set up before I heard any team news

Kaminski

Nyambe  Lenihan  Van Hecke  Pickering

Travis  Edun

Dolan              Buckley       Brereton Diaz

Gallagher

Rovers history vs Posh, 6 wins, 3 losses, certainly not a rivalry or grudge match. 
However, the reverse fixture marked the beginning of our 6-game win streak (it seems so long ago!), and at the time many of us believed it was the start of Rovers’ promotion push. 

It was; the start and end of it. 

I would like to believe we still have a hope of promotion, a reason for Rovers to give their best effort and excitement amongst our fan base. Sadly, the opportunity, the moment, seems to have passed us by. 

Since the beginning of March, Rovers have managed to get 6 points from 21 possible- the performance relegations are made of. A season-best crowd of 17,806 vs Blackpool, a day to honor Tony Parkes, and a mighty push toward the end of the season, alas, came to a poor effort. 

Good Friday, might be good to Rovers. A 1-0 win would be enough to lift our mood somewhat, but not enough to restore this once promising season, to hope of achieving glory, and promotion. Sadly, a 1-0 win, over the 24th team on the table, will have to suffice. 

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Posh (a) - Friday 15th April
  • Herbie6590 pinned this topic

Tough team selection, its hard to come up with 11 worthy players.

Khadra should play if fit, Dolan again didn't take his chance on Saturday. Gallagher wasn't anything special but got a goal so may aswell continue. I think Dack needs to start too.

Rothwell doesn't deserve to start but then again, do we have a serious alternative? I would also probably likely go to a back 4 which would see Wharton miss out.

Mowbrays recent faffing around has ensured that its no Good Friday football for me, instead I am off to Saints v Wigan rugby league, a few beers pre and post match  and then finish off with a curry.

I don't see Rovers having the ability to shake the Mowbray curse of cocking promotion up

1-0 loss despite 80% possession in our favour, 2 missed pens, 30 efforts on target and they score last kick of the game off the backside of the only posh player in the area!

• Like 2

Confidence must be on the floor, I said before the Blackpool game he shouldn't have been in charge of that fixture. Same applies here but it's probably too late now. He should have been potted weeks ago to see if we could get a reaction from the team under anyone else.

• Like 7

I will be there again. I changed my work schedule at Christmas thinking promotion. There’s one born every minute.Positives the ground is only 15 mins walk from the station unlike Coventry which was in another town. Wetherspoons is 5 mins from the station cheap beer. Negatives I fear 90 minutes of absolute tedium.

Result 1v1. One down half time. Equaliser in first 15 of second half. Strange substitutions after this. Sit back and see it out

Mowbray good point at a difficult place. Doesn’t want to listen to doom mongers.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

What betting we throw away victory in the final minutes again?

1-1 and season over.

You’re right, and what a surprise… I think at one point this season, we had 11 clean sheets in 15. I have to say, Wharton, Nyambe, Lenihan, JPvH, were exceptional earlier in the season. Kaminski, good all year. 

If we had nothing to play for in a dead rubber we'd go down there and stroll to a 2nil routine win.

If his back was against the wall and people suspected he'd be sacked he'd have them revved up front foot and start Dack regardless of his rehab talk.  We'd win 3 on the bounce.

As it is i expect same old listless approach to the first half and something in the line up that we already know won't work.

1-1

get the deck chairs out.

• Like 1

I'm going for a repeat of the Coventry game and a score draw.

Another 45 minute performance will either see us trailing at half time before we recover in the second half or we play well first half but then let it slip in the second and concede an equaliser.

Posh aren't a good side but will be fighting and have put a few decent results together recently.

• Like 1

First and only visit to Peterborough was in November 1974 when we lost 1-0. In fact, they did the double over us in that promotion year. We had a big following, as we did everywhere that season, and I travelled down on the League Liner, or was it the Ewood Express? Can’t remember which.

I wish I still had the enthusiasm that I did as a sixteen year old back in 1974 but I haven’t. Venky’s, Mowbray and the way the Rovers build up your hopes, before kicking you in the nads, have completely worn me out. Whilst I obviously want us to win, I have little, or no, interest in the game and I won’t be either tuning in or keeping a tab on the scores.

That’s a one nil win to Rovers then. It would be just like us.

• Like 1

The reason why Posh are Championship's bottom club is because they have conceded 82 goals averaging 2 a game. From 41 games they've only won 6 and drawn 10 to pick up just 28 points. 

If we can't at least come away with a 0 1 result, even if its in true Rovers style (4 shots, 1 on target), then TM should be honest with himself and walk away from the club.    

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

First and only visit to Peterborough was in November 1974 when we lost 1-0. In fact, they did the double over us in that promotion year. We had a big following, as we did everywhere that season, and I travelled down on the League Liner, or was it the Ewood Express? Can’t remember which.

I wish I still had the enthusiasm that I did as a sixteen year old back in 1974 but I haven’t. Venky’s, Mowbray and the way the Rovers build up your hopes, before kicking you in the nads, have completely worn me out. Whilst I obviously want us to win, I have little, or no, interest in the game and I won’t be either tuning in or keeping a tab on the scores.

That’s a one nil win to Rovers then. It would be just like us.

Ewood Express, I was on it as well. 

• Like 1