BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

So many holier than thou comments. A man who has worked his entire life in the second most venal industry after drug smuggling doesn’t tell the truth when he is clearly scrambling to keep his job? Shocking! The average person lies once every ten minutes of talking, and he gets interviewed almost every day of the week, so that must be ten porkies a week every week.

Mowbray is just not very good, failing against his stated target, and putting lipstick on the pig that is his journey. Nothing to see here.

• Like 4

Haha - breathe lads BREATHE!!

Mowbray is going to defend his position and his job because HE believes he can turn this around. That doesn’t make him immoral or dare I say it, ‘Kean-esque’. It makes him human. Every single one of us would do the same in his position.

His comment about a section of our fans who will never be happy is TRUE. Some of that section post regularly in here for Christ sake!! Maybe it’s not because of Shearer and Sutton or winning the PL that they feel this way but I wouldn’t argue with their existence!

The key factor in my opinion here is that Mowbray is acting differently. He’s doing so because of pressure whether that’s internal, external or both and what that says to me is that unless results improve hugely then something is about to give.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

And we won that match!

I think that unfortunately you are perhaps reading too much into it. I doubt the owners would even understand the random points he put across about missing players, full backs in the wrong position etc. We are kidding ourselves by implying that Venkys give a shit or have a real dedication and vested interest. Mowbray loves a natter, if he senses any "pressure" it will probably be minor criticisms from social media etc via the local journalists, of course watered down.

I also think that an inability to pay a 6 figure fee to Crewe for a full back and also cutbacks regarding the pitch to the point that it has become as bad as it has shows that they are not willing to just sign of cheques whenever asked.

You are correct that he isnt like Kean and I think anyone implying otherwise is just doing so out of pure frustration.

So IF ‘they’ aren’t listening then why did he choose to do the interview? It’s completely out of character for him, right?

I wouldn’t be too hasty with with your assertions on 6 figure fees. Firstly, we’d spent our budget and so decided to go back for more. It would appear that we were given what we asked for (shock) and my feeling is that they’re waiting for Crewe to fold and do the deal they want at the end of this month. Either way, they only really need to ask for more...just like rubbing a genies lamp so I’ve heard! 

Edited by Paul Mani

Sounds like it’s you needs to breathe, you are trying to put normal club scenarios onto a Venky run establishment and getting very over-excited in seeing things that aren’t there.

Give TM a microphone and he defends his position and rarely takes responsibility for failings - it’s the players, it’s the pitch, its the injuries, it’s the ‘market’.

I’ve seen of heard nothing that suggests he’s under any more pressure from the owners.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

Sitting down with my Sunday morning brew I broke one of my New Years resolutions which was to never read any of Mowbrays articles. Lancashire live quote “ Mowbray expects a team like boro to be in the premiership “. God give me strength in their entire history they have won one trophy. He endlessly tells us how privileged we are to be competing against the big teams in this league. Has he taken any time to look at the history of the club he manages if boro deserves to be in the premier then I’m one hundred percent sure we do.

He needs to recognise the privilege he has been given to manage the 7th most successful team decade on decade of all time and undeniably the most successful small town team.

If he feels boro are a premier team then he should be ashamed of the shambles he’s making with Rovers.

He's a Middlesbrough man and Boro fan remember. Probably clouds his view of where Boro should be. 

It's the same old from Tony. Best not to read it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Haha - breathe lads BREATHE!!

Mowbray is going to defend his position and his job because HE believes he can turn this around. That doesn’t make him immoral or dare I say it, ‘Kean-esque’. It makes him human. Every single one of us would do the same in his position.

His comment about a section of our fans who will never be happy is TRUE. Some of that section post regularly in here for Christ sake!! Maybe it’s not because of Shearer and Sutton or winning the PL that they feel this way but I wouldn’t argue with their existence!

Mate you even admit he is telling porkys about the Premier League stuff. And that's a huge problem as it makes the fans out to be entitled, ubeducated and unreasonable, which isn't true. It tells a narrative of unreasonable expectations so fans will never be happy - it completely excuses his failures by making it seem like fans have too high expectations. So yeah, I think it's a poor do because it's false, besmirches the fans and aims to manipulate the outside view of the situation. Put it this way you wouldn't be so chill if Kean or Coyle said it... 

As for a section of fans always not being happy I'd love you to name names on this one. I am sure that some posters moan more than others (perhaps I fall into that category) and maybe more than is warranted but the never happy stuff isn't true either. 

No one wasn't happy when we tonked Derby and Wycombe. No one wasn't happy we got promoted. No one was unhappy with how we did under Hughes or Souness. No one was unhappy with our cup run under Bowyer. Some fans are mainly negative but no one is never happy. 

Further holes in this are that those who like a good moan often have a particular focus, it's not about the whole situation (think of how many villain players we have had on here) which is very different from being unhappy at the whole situation. 

Also if we accept your premise that fans are always unhappy then bringing it up now is a poor argument because they have been there the previous 4 seasons and he hasn't though it is an issue. In fact if all clubs have them and it's a natural part of football it's a daft thing to complain about as it's a natural part of the game - like complaining about the weather. 

Honestly, I think it was a really low comment. It tarnishes fans, it associates all fans who aren't pleased with him into this group of unreasonable and self entitled group - which really don't exist. I get you like the manager and want to defend him, but this wouldn't be the hill I'd chose to defend. It's clearly a wrong move by TM and whilst there are other things he can be defended on, defending him on this suggests you think he can do no wrong. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Mate you even admit he is telling porkys about the Premier League stuff. And that's a huge problem as it makes the fans out to be entitled, ubeducated and unreasonable, which isn't true. It tells a narrative of unreasonable expectations so fans will never be happy - it completely excuses his failures by making it seem like fans have too high expectations. So yeah, I think it's a poor do because it's false, besmirches the fans and aims to manipulate the outside view of the situation. Put it this way you wouldn't be so chill if Kean or Coyle said it... 

As for a section of fans always not being happy I'd love you to name names on this one. I am sure that some posters moan more than others (perhaps I fall into that category) and maybe more than is warranted but the never happy stuff isn't true either. 

No one wasn't happy when we tonked Derby and Wycombe. No one wasn't happy we got promoted. No one was unhappy with how we did under Hughes or Souness. No one was unhappy with our cup run under Bowyer. Some fans are mainly negative but no one is never happy. 

Further holes in this are that those who like a good moan often have a particular focus, it's not about the whole situation (think of how many villain players we have had on here) which is very different from being unhappy at the whole situation. 

Also if we accept your premise that fans are always unhappy then bringing it up now is a poor argument because they have been there the previous 4 seasons and he hasn't though it is an issue. In fact if all clubs have them and it's a natural part of football it's a daft thing to complain about as it's a natural part of the game - like complaining about the weather. 

Honestly, I think it was a really low comment. It tarnishes fans, it associates all fans who aren't pleased with him into this group of unreasonable and self entitled group - which really don't exist. I get you like the manager and want to defend him, but this wouldn't be the hill I'd chose to defend. It's clearly a wrong move by TM and whilst there are other things he can be defended on, defending him on this suggests you think he can do no wrong. 

I'm always happy after a win or a good away draw. Having said that even winning teams can be improved. The really good managers are happy with wins but they're constantly looking for ways to improve the team and their players. You should be happy with a winning team, if we ever get one, but you should never be satisfied. Rovers were happy and satisfied when we won the Prem, Mowbray was happy and satisfied when we got promoted. Look what happened then.

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

I appreciate everything you said and respect your opinion. But my opinion is that there are a section of fans who are / would never be happy. Just because we have differing opinions doesn’t mean I’m wrong or you’re right and it certainly doesn’t mean I think he can do no wrong.

I won't be happy with mid table in the Championship no. I won't be happy with wasting years making the same old mistakes rather than learning from them and making efforts to get promoted.

We might not get promotion because it is tough but that doesn't mean I should be happy to be here or accept the attempts to diminish expectations and make out like we are lucky to be in the same league as Middlesbrough and Stoke.

Does that make me entitled or never happy? I dont think so. I just expect better and want better and won't accept excuses from a failing manager. This club is capable of better and unless we demand better we won't achieve it.

The day we accept mid table as good or 'our level' then promotion can be forgotten about.

• Like 3

There’s even folk mumbling about Dyche every time that lot lose a game... you know he who just ended a three year unbeaten Anfield home record and has completely transformed a club in the doldrums for decades (one year aside).

TM has it bloody easy here, be it from those ‘above’ or supporters.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

On the BBC website...

If there is one man who is synonymous with red shirt of Middlesbrough, then it's Tony Mowbray.

Redcar-born, seemingly hewn from the iron ore which was mined at nearby Eston, and granite tough.’

I reckon we don’t make enough of his roots.

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

So IF ‘they’ aren’t listening then why did he choose to do the interview? It’s completely out of character for him, right?

I wouldn’t be too hasty with with your assertions on 6 figure fees. Firstly, we’d spent our budget and so decided to go back for more. It would appear that we were given what we asked for (shock) and my feeling is that they’re waiting for Crewe to fold and do the deal they want at the end of this month. Either way, they only really need to ask for more...just like rubbing a genies lamp so I’ve heard! 

Mowbray likes to natter about football, if hes sensing pressure from anywhere it is likely to be from local media/supporters. Theres no way he is justifying his position and the specifics around it via the EFL Podcast to the owners.

What youve heard hasnt been played out by the last 10 years.

Middlesbrough are nothing special yet they are seventh in the league and Warnock has taken them from 21st to the cusp of the play offs in months. No one in this league perhaps with the exception of Norwich are anything special, which is why Mowbray's slow build and journey speeches are such a nonsense.

• Like 5

I decided to take a break from commenting because of how I felt about Mowbray. Our early season form seems to me to prove he can do it, but our playoff spot and goal scoring output was more to stop me and others from saying 'we don't score enough;' and 'Mowbray's never got us in the playoff positions anytime we've been in the Championship'. 

This game was a must win for Mowbray's job. Whenever he's been in that position, the team's gone out and won the game for him. Yet he's not the focus of our ambitions and ought not be that of the team's. Our league position is the be all and end all.

He's the one who admits he lucked into team and formation in league one. Mowbray's the one who ensured we didn't win league one by not trying to win at Charlton. 

Mowbray is so very adroit at making himself seem indispensable. Travis and Dack do not fit in a 4-3-3 formation. Yet, Mowbray insists and persists in playing them in it. Mowbray's always right - in his own mind.

I'm not convinced Mowbray is committed to our making a promotion run this season. Mowbray's commitment to our promotion this season is a question our owners need an answer to. If Mowbray delivers us promotion this season, he's earned a season as our manager in the premier league, in my book.

I'd prefer a different manager, but that will come as no surprise to anyone on this site. I also accept that I'm not the one making the decisions. It's taken a while for that acceptance to sink in.

• Like 1