BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (h) 14/9/2021

17 minutes ago, Tom said:

Just read on Twitter that it’s our lowest Ewood attendance in the league in just over 30 years!

It’s so sad. It has been on the cards for a while.

The combination of covid, apathy after last season, an underwhelming transfer window and a pricing structure that is out of touch with the local financial climate has all led to this.

Not sure what it’ll take to bring attendances back to pre-covid levels but there needs to be a radical re-think. Ticket pricing in particular has to be looked at after last night. 

• Like 6

I know that people wont agree with me on this but i think BBD is falling foul (pardon the pun)  with the new rules of refs trying to let play go more.

there were several times that he got the ball with back to goal and felt the touch and went down trying to buy the foul that players like Rhodes used to praised for "buying the foul" and getting us up the pitch,

however this season these type of foul arent being given

9 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You did see Gallagher on Saturday then?

I thought BB was very poor tonight his goal apart but he was still nowhere near as bad as Gallagher imo.

The issue with BBD is that he was isolated for the whole of the first half because the team was set up incorrectly and hadnt a clue on going forward - Dolan aside, no one supported him, too many big gaps between the midfield and forward and not enough support. Rothwell kept standing still and when he did move with the ball he created space however this was far too sporadic and a turgid 45 minutes.

Second half, with the introduction of Butterworth and Khadra saw support, width and speed through the middle which we had lacked. Efforts on goal arrived and this also rejuvenated Rothwell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Yes exactly. Bar the goal, it was almost like he's trying to play like Gally. Poor touch, constantly losing the ball in dangerous positions.

Lets be fair to him - he was a loan ranger feeding off scraps in the first half. He was often surrounded by 3 or 4 Hull defenders with no help in sight. Flip forward to the second half subs - when he got a bit more assistance - and he looked a lot better. IMO most forwards would have struggled in our first half formation - as he was often left isolated.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

The combination of covid, apathy after last season, an underwhelming transfer window and a pricing structure that is out of touch with the local financial climate has all led to this.

Not sure what it’ll take to bring attendances back to pre-covid levels but there needs to be a radical re-think. Ticket pricing in particular has to be looked at after last night. 

..I agree ….it’s very sad. However, Covid doesn’t seem to be impacting other grounds , in fact they have  greater gates than ever….our gates , in my opinion, are as they are, and will remain as they are whilst Mowbray and his band of weary brothers remain in post. 

I will return to Ewood , every game, as soon as we have a leadership I can believe in and respect.

The VERY life of our club and our community is being squeezed…how much life will be left before “ the powers that be “ will realise we have had enough.

Edited by Dolly blue
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

And there you have it. The good the bad and the ugly supporting rovers. Diabolical in the first half playing against a really poor team. 

For all the (well deserved) abuse he gets credit to TM in the second half. His subs changed the game. Butterworth and khedra changed the game. 

Total opposite from Saturday, imagine had we bagged the 3 points then. We would be sitting 3rd in the table. 

Thats the other side to Mowbray though. Unable to achieve the consistency or ruthlessness required to keep on winning and really push in up the league.

How many times have we been in this sort of position? Have a reasonable run of form, get within a win of being in the top 6, then blow it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Thats the other side to Mowbray though. Unable to achieve the consistency or ruthlessness required to keep on winning and really push in up the league.

How many times have we been in this sort of position? Have a reasonable run of form, get within a win of being in the top 6, then blow it. 

Maybe scarred by last seasons collapse - but I still see last nights 3 points as being important as it was against a potential relegation rival - rather than getting us into the play offs.

Other than WBA we have played either average teams, or ones out of form. Having said that confidence is a great thing - and this season we seem to be playing a lot more pragmatically than last season (when trying and failing to play a possession game).

• Like 1

He isn't scarred by anything it's just the way he works and always has we've been seeing the same pattern for nearly 5 years now.

Prefers to play it safe first 45 then maybe pinch something but most of the time his eggs are in the 60-65 min subs basket.

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Don’t forget it was also live on SKY TV.

Having said that you don’t have to look any further than the manager for the main reason why people are staying away. He’s over stayed his welcome by at least a couple of seasons.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BigBar said:

Jesus I give up. Steady in possession and won a few tackles? He was anonymous, like very bad. Forgive me for thinking we don't have time for allowing him to learn on the job at the expense of the team. How many chances are we going to give him only for him to fail to produce time and time again?

Appears my comments before the game were spot on, you took exception to them, ask yourself why I was right? Because it's the norm and predictable, hooked after 53 minutes after a nothing display yet again. Seem most of this board have realised he isn't up to it at present. Don't just blindly back him to save face man.

He didn't play well last night but not many did until the changes were made.

The previous game v Luton he was one of our better players.

The same things were being said about Brererton and he is growing as a player.Armstrong also had his critics on here and look how that turned out.

Edited by islander200

9 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Also, well done the manager. Set the team up well (apart from playing our best footballer, Buckley out of position)…made the correct decision on subs and positively effected the game. Credit where it’s due.

Mowbray did exactly the opposite to what you claim.

The unbalanced outfit he started with were dominated by a poor Hull side.

This forced Mowbrays hand to make earlier than usual subs which, fortunate for us, worked .... this time.

The youthful exuberance and skill of Khadra and Butterworth livened us up and we scored 2 goals.

Mowbray got lucky.

If Hull could score they would have won that game.

• Like 6

I am not anti Buckley but he was awful last night and Clarkson invisible.

Lenihan MoM in a game he should have been banned from - surely that cannot be true. Ayala, Pickering and Nyambe all had better games in defence nevermind going forward.

Given to make him feel good after his horror foul in the Luton game. Not right.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I think Covid is the ideal screen to use as one of the excuses for our low attendances and season tickets but that is bucking the trend of pretty much the majority of football clubs, many of which have actually increased ticket sales. I personally don't know anybody who isn't going because of the pandemic. I agree with the other reasons you give though.

Thought the manager got the starting 11 wrong last night but fair play for making the changes in the 2nd half to get the win.

Positives

• We look like a real attacking threat when we turn up the gas as shown by the two goal blitz on Saturday and last night. Just need to work out how to show that for longer periods in games.
  • The back four look really solid this season, Ayala solid and Pickering in particular has grown into the team the last few games and you can see them talking a lot and working together well.
  • Dolan has been class the last couple of games, loads of skill and work rate.

Negatives

• Central midfield is so weak, we have too many small technical players in a league where you need some beef and muscle. Buckley, Rothwell, Clarkson and even Travis all look powder puff against most teams we have come up against this season.
  • Travis is worrying me, looks miles off the player he looked pre-covid in terms of work rate, skill and ability.
  • Defensively the tracking from midfield was abysmal again last night and we were lucky one of the Hull lads bombing into the box didn't cost us a goal like on Saturday.

So basically we need a massive re-think in central midfield but other than that its looking good everywhere else. We might surprise ourselves this season and make a decent go of it.

• Like 5

Echo what most have written. Apart from a (basically) unplayable 15 minutes after the subs came on from 55th-70th (credit where it is due), we were abject. 

Butterworth was one who back in August I felt could really make a case for the #10 spot, but it is worrying how a player can come on in the 55th and be knackered by the 80th. Improve his fitness or I doubt he can ever start - but those 30 minute cameos could become 2018/2019-Rothwell esque.

10 hours ago, dallydally said:

On another note Smallwood worked within a 20 yard circle all night showing how limited he is at this level. Influenced nothing in the game at all. No loss to Rovers when he left

100% with you here. Once the dust settles, and fans start to reflect on their worst ever - by ability - established starting XI, Smallwood would comfortably be in most teams. 

Sorry Hull, but if he's playing 90 minutes every week - as your captain to boot, you ain't long for the Championship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Really happy for Butterworth finally getting his chance after all those injuries. And excited about what he brings to the team, seems to have that mobility, skill and pace and an eye for goal. Lets hope he can put those injuries behind him.

Someone mentioned he's like a Dack which i think he aint far off.

The first time I saw him years ago I thought ” He’s definitely one for the future “. He put me in the mind of a young David Speedie. I was really impressed. Since then he’s missed at least two full seasons with a long term back injury.

Do you ever get over a chronic back injury ? I didn’t. I would be fine at the start playing 5 a side but after 45 minutes I could hardly bend over to retie my laces. Maybe that’s why he’s only getting sub appearances. Maybe he can’t take part in full training sessions. When I did my disc somebody told me” You’ve got a friend for life there “. They weren’t far wrong.

I hope for the lads sake he’s fully recovered, after all the medical procedures have improved immensely over the years.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray got lucky.

If Hull could score they would have won that game.

Agree with what you previously said - but Mowbray got lucky ? or identified our shortfalls and addressed them ? Most managers can get formations etc wrong at the start of a match - it is how they address them during the match that is key. It isn't often TM gets things right - as you say the initial formation was awful - but I am prepared to give him some credit for at least changing it.

If Hull could score they would have won that game - you could equally say they could be top of the league if they could score 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Echo what most have written. Apart from a (basically) unplayable 15 minutes after the subs came on from 55th-70th (credit where it is due), we were abject. 

Butterworth was one who back in August I felt could really make a case for the #10 spot, but it is worrying how a player can come on in the 55th and be knackered by the 80th. Improve his fitness or I doubt he can ever start - but those 30 minute cameos could become 2018/2019-Rothwell esque.

100% with you here. Once the dust settles, and fans start to reflect on their worst ever - by ability - established starting XI, Smallwood would comfortably be in most teams. 

Sorry Hull, but if he's playing 90 minutes every week - as your captain to boot, you ain't long for the Championship. 

No way 

• Like 4

Was out foxed, out passed and in general out played for an hour.

Then the changes, 4-4-2 and boom we was a totally different team who could of got 3 or 4 goals.

Credit to TM, he got a lot of stick saturday, and rightfully so after his tactical switches gifted Luton a point. This time his changes were the reason we got the points.

We still lack any real game plan and its a lot of huff and puff at the moment with no real identity.

That being said, its a results business, 3 wins,  3 draws, 1 defeat, and 7th in the table, is far more than most would of expected, given the outgoings and what looks on paper a disappointing transfer window in terms of incomings.

It gives us a little hope and optimism in the first instance that there is 3 or 4 sides much worse off than us, who are far more relegation candidates than us.

Its too early to suggest we can push for the play offs, given the sides we've beaten are all around the bottom, however its usually those sides we slip up against.

Feeling rather optimistic about our season going forwards, given our start, without expecting too much in terms of a promotion push.

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 1

I will give the manager credit for the substitutions.

However, this is offset by the insipid way we started both halves where we should be revved up from the manager's Churchillian motivation. That applies even more to the half time talk after one of the worst halves of football ever seen at Ewood - we were arguably worse after the break.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pedrob2014 said:

I know that people wont agree with me on this but i think BBD is falling foul (pardon the pun)  with the new rules of refs trying to let play go more.

there were several times that he got the ball with back to goal and felt the touch and went down trying to buy the foul that players like Rhodes used to praised for "buying the foul" and getting us up the pitch,

however this season these type of foul arent being given

In that case you stand strong and find a team-mate with a pass. Play the rules as they are, not how they used to be.

• Like 1