BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Leeds looking at BBD, £10m apparently is what we would accept.

Good for Leeds but I don't see Rovers selling him in January. Plus look at when the owners wouldn't sell Rothwell last January and JDT wouldn't want to sell him either IMO. Key Player under JDT and I think selling him would have a huge negative impact on the club aswell and our promotion hopes for this season

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Good for Leeds but I don't see Rovers selling him in January. Plus look at when the owners wouldn't sell Rothwell last January 

They may think they missed out on 3m as after chrimbo JR did nothing for the team.  Therefore they might fancy 15m 

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Leeds looking at BBD, £10m apparently is what we would accept.

£10m according to who?

Personally I'd take £10m if we receive it on 1 January and are allowed to re-invest it all into the squad. Obviously neither of those things are going to happen. 

• Like 2

Brereton is 100% entitled to refuse to go anywhere remember and see out his contract unless an offer comes along that satisfies him.

Perhaps he wouldn't fancy a  relegation battle with Leeds or Everton. Perhaps he'd prefer Spain.

That may well be his position,I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 4

Surely there is only so many times the club can turn down offers for players? We need to get money into the club from somewhere.

Nyambe, Rothwell & Lenihan all walked out of the door for nothing and we left ourselves in a poor negotiating position with Arma.

Yes, it would derail a promotion push but that was the reason Rothwell stayed and that didn't work out too well for us in the end.

3 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Surely there is only so many times the club can turn down offers for players? We need to get money into the club from somewhere.

Nyambe, Rothwell & Lenihan all walked out of the door for nothing and we left ourselves in a poor negotiating position with Arma.

Yes, it would derail a promotion push but that was the reason Rothwell stayed and that didn't work out too well for us in the end.

Valid points. It's a tricky one...also worth considering that our second half of the season collapse was a Mowbray staple. We don't know if JDT is prone to the same. I think BBD is also more important to the team than Rothwell was. Without him our goalscoring options are a tad threadbare. I'd back him to be more professional about sticking around for another 6 months too.

Whichever choice is made about him, the only way it doesn't come in for criticism is if we get promoted.

Edited by bluebruce

13 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

And that we already have players who can pass the ball.

Thought Buckley and Wharton did really well against West Ham. Dont think really we missed Travis. Garrett came on and was good.

I think we have more than enough CMs personally and they have more than shown they have the quality. Im not keen to find the next experienced Bradley Johnson or Corey Evans to keep Wharton, Garrett and Buckley out of the team

I agree…Next season we have Travis, Buckley, Wharton and Garrett. I’m more than happy with that (unless we go up 🤞🏽)

CB’s the same…Hyam, Phillips, Carter, S.Wharton and Barnes is sufficient. Get Ayala to sign another year and we’ve cracked it.

For me we’ll need more WB / FB cover in the summer to add to Brittain, Pickering and Hedges.

In January, for me it’s about forwards and replacing anyone who leaves (BBD and Dack) I’m thinking of. We need to swap Hirst for someone else by the looks and then be ready to replace one or both of the above should things move. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Valid points. It's a tricky one...also worth considering that our second half of the season collapse was a Mowbray staple. We don't know if JDT is prone to the same. I think BBD is also more important to the team than Rothwell was. Without him our goalscoring options are a tad threadbare. I'd back him to be more professional about sticking around for another 6 months too.

Whichever choice is made about him, the only way it doesn't come in for criticism is if we get promoted.

Obviously, it's not my money. So if it was up to me, I'd keep him for the season.

But the club can't carry on like this, we need to start bringing money into the club via player sales.

I think we should (and will) keep Diaz until summer. Maybe he already has a pre-contract agreement lined up abroad, hence how certain he is he will be here until summer?

Venkys won't sell unless everything is right for them. BBD now epitomizes the spirit & morale at this club, he wants to stay on, the fans want him to stay on, JDT wants him to stay on. Making money can't be Venkys motivation behind their ownership in view of them having lost it hand over fist, so it makes no sense to lose such a crucial asset (a la Rothwell, but magnified 10x).

It's a risky strategy, no doubt. But on balance that would be the most sensible thing to do. Losing him for £0 in summer sounds mad, but even if we are still in the Championship it doesn't affect FFP too much on my understanding.

50 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

I think we should (and will) keep Diaz until summer. Maybe he already has a pre-contract agreement lined up abroad, hence how certain he is he will be here until summer?

Venkys won't sell unless everything is right for them. BBD now epitomizes the spirit & morale at this club, he wants to stay on, the fans want him to stay on, JDT wants him to stay on. Making money can't be Venkys motivation behind their ownership in view of them having lost it hand over fist, so it makes no sense to lose such a crucial asset (a la Rothwell, but magnified 10x).

It's a risky strategy, no doubt. But on balance that would be the most sensible thing to do. Losing him for £0 in summer sounds mad, but even if we are still in the Championship it doesn't affect FFP too much on my understanding.

I suspect it’s more a case of ‘he won’t kick up a fuss if the right offer for him doesn’t come in’ rather than ‘he wants to stay on’. 

If someone turns up with mega money and a huge opportunity he will throw his toys out the pram if we stop it. They all will. 

Problem is whilst we rely heavily on Ben it is very much an eggs in one basket sort of thing. 

Yes he would be a huge loss but he's going to be a huge loss next season as well. And my biggest fear with all this pressure on him is what if he gets injured or goes off the boil? Both are possible. What if we get key injuries in other places we have little cover?

I do wonder if £10 million well spent could push us to promotion. Maybe a couple of strikers (perhaps one on loan) and cover for a position we have little depth in. That could be the difference for promotion and lessens the risk all round. 

4 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

centre forward,a speedy left back and a left sided midfielder are required imo,pickering is sound defensively but he does`nt have to pace to make an impact in a position where you need to be quick

After seeing mola I think we will be ok midfield but some attacking power and cover at full backs is certainly needed to maintain a promotion push

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

centre forward,a speedy left back and a left sided midfielder are required imo,pickering is sound defensively but he does`nt have to pace to make an impact in a position where you need to be quick

Speedy left-back, Batty.

Left sided midfielder, Mola.

I agree that we could do with a center-forward.

• Like 1

I genuinely think Ben wants to stay and that he loves the club.

He took a while to settle here, I doubt he wants to go down that road again at another club.

He does need to test himself in the top flight, but I bet you he'd rather do that with us.

Last chance saloon rovers.....

• Like 5