BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wrexham (h) - FA Cup - 29/1/24, 7:30pm

1 minute ago, sharpysharps86 said:

I thought Hyam and Wharton were pretty solid last night. With Carter being out long-term, lets hope this is a partnership that can steady us defensively. Failing that, hopefully O' Riordan is up to it.

Wharton was fine too although Hyam was and is the better of the 2 IMO. We need one more to give us an extra option though.

Big game to win that one. Either us or Wrexham at home to Newcastle will inevitably be on tv. That plus prize money for progressing, sponsorship, radio fees, hospitality etc, a potential 25k plus crowd at Ewood would mean beating Wrexham would have been worth 500-750k. Swag will be happy..

Edited by BRFC4EVA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, superniko said:

Didn’t someone say he had the highest pass completion % on the pitch?

Agree with most though that he didn’t stand out last night. 

I think he also was high up if not top in forward passes with an overall completion rate of 90%.

What those stats don't show is that many are very short passes played out wide in repetitive triangles.

I thought he had one of his better games for us but that was maybe because I was paying him more attention and not just picking up his errors, which I am prone to do.

Siggy on the other hand was awful. He was starved of the ball but lacks the pace and aggression to make progress when on the ball so often just plays it inside or back. He rarely challenges in a tackle or aerial battle. A bit of a luxury.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Some of the hate Gallagher gets is... bizarre. He's a flawed player, but c'mon.*

*I bravely say so after a game where he played well.

Siggy's got some concerning attributes, but he does have that 'moment of quality' potential that too many of our attackers lack...

JDT's overall record against L1/L2 clubs in the Cups:

6-0-0, 27 GF (4.5/game) 7 GA (1.2/game).

It has its flaws, but his attacking style certainly tears up lesser competition...

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

A win in which the 2 divisions between the teams was in full view, a massive gulf.

The formation I am not a fan of and we won in spite of it, due to the far superior quality on show, not because of it. Championship sides would have tore us to shreds. Both Dolan and Sigurdsson cannot defend and equally were hindered going forward.

Szmodics and Gallagher were the difference makers, such a threat. Szmodics' finishing gets better and better and we are so reliant on him. Gallagher is an actual Championship striker and miles above Leonard, Ennis and Telalovic whose touch is miles off. If he is sold he will leave a big void that wont be easy to replace, all this "ill drive him there" stuff is nonsensical.

Tronstad was very good, Garrett very poor and lacks ability on the ball, if he plays more as a result of Wharton leaving its such a huge downgrade. Hyam and Scott Wharton were fine, JRC is one of our stand out players but still rusty and Pears made a big error but made up for it.

I think you'll see more of that formation this season with our set piece frailties.

JDT will want 3 CBs on the pitch as much as possible. Phillips and / or O'Riordan will be playing a lot. I assume they'll play JRC, Brittain and the loaned at WB.

4 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Some of the hate Gallagher gets is... bizarre. He's a flawed player, but c'mon.*

C'mon indeed - he obviously found his level last night - against League 2 opposition.

Just because he might not be quite as bad as Ennis or Telalovic doesn't suddenly make him a good player. (Some going that by the Egg)

He offers very little at Championship level - it would be absolute madness to turn money down for him this window.

Which means we'll probably do it.

• Like 1

we practically played 3-2-5 last night. Didn't come down to management, it came down to us being technically better, we were better at moving the ball quick and Wrexham didn't have the legs to keep up. We aren't moving up the table anytime quickly playing that way in the league imo, as bizarre and negative as it may sound (sorry for negativity after a 4-1)

From what I have read on twitter and on here, I am not giving Pears praise. I see people saying how good he was last night. Not for me. He didn't have much to do. The goal conceded was poor, near post, he was nowhere near it. As for the double save we would of been hammering him if the rebound went in as he pushed it into a danger zone. 

We are so open is ridiculous. We played with no defensive wing backs, Sigurdson does not suit that formation at all so i think the criticism of him is unfair. Its just not his game, he doesn't have the legs to get up and down, and when he gets it he wants to cut in, and having about 5 up front at times it just got congested for him. Our poor cms have to be all over the place due to the lack of cover at the back.

Positives:

Dolan and costello. I would like to see costello in cm in all honesty, think we miss a bit of physical\height Prescence in there at times, but its good he can play in multiple positions. Maybe away from home him and tronstad might not be a bad cm pairing. 

We got the job done, and convincingly, we were very good on the ball and at moving it. But against better oppo we cant get away with how we play, which shows week in week out in championship. Its great when it comes off like last night, but how many times does it? The first half hour summed it up last night, played them off the park and went 1-0 down, luckily we turned it around easily. 

All I'm saying is we need to find a better balance at both ends of the pitch and quickly. All this talk of lack of experience and strikers is annoying now. Think we have seen weve got a good enough group, and we also have the leagues top scorer, time for him to start taking responsibility and fixing our weaknesses. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I think you'll see more of that formation this season with our set piece frailties.

JDT will want 3 CBs on the pitch as much as possible. Phillips and / or O'Riordan will be playing a lot. I assume they'll play JRC, Brittain and the loaned at WB.

I get that, but in the absence of 3 available CB's, it makes little sense to force that formation on the available personnel. When you start having square pegs in round holes ie JRC at CB and attackers at wing back, you will suffer against better teams.

I think with JRC as a wing back, potentially Chrisene on the other side and 3 actual CBs, it could potentially have more balance to it. Question is then, how do you balance the 5 in front as it didnt balance well against Huddersfield. Perhaps 2 central midfielders with one floating behind the front 2 including Szmodics would be more effective than Garrett.

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Having been at the game I havent seen, were people annoyed having seen us go 1 down to a League 2 side on the back of 2 or 3 months of horrendous results and having seen our main asset dropped with an expectation that hes about to leave?

We’d also gone a really soft, sloppy and avoidable goal down after spurning some good initial chances, then dominating play up until the edge of their area before running out of ideas (with the most obvious solution to our lack of penetrative passes sat on the bench).

I was pretty pissed off in the ground at 1 down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

C'mon indeed - he obviously found his level last night - against League 2 opposition.

Just because he might not be quite as bad as Ennis or Telalovic doesn't suddenly make him a good player. (Some going that by the Egg)

He offers very little at Championship level - it would be absolute madness to turn money down for him this window.

Which means we'll probably do it.

Looks pretty obvious he's out and McGuire's in. Net cost £300,000 with possibly lower wages.

• Like 1

There’s a good report on the game in today’s “ Guardian “.

Regarding Pears, their goal was a good finish, the lad spanked it and it was just inside the post. I can’t think of many Rovers keepers that would have stopped that one. The one he palmed back into the danger area was really poor. It was from distance and he had plenty of time to react. Both of our keepers do that way too often.

• Like 2

The Times report mentioned we have the worst defence in the Championship which I assume means goals conceded. That’s partly down to Wahlstedt but also he  Ed way the team plays and is set up. We need Phillips from Liverpool 

24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The Times report mentioned we have the worst defence in the Championship which I assume means goals conceded. That’s partly down to Wahlstedt but also he  Ed way the team plays and is set up. We need Phillips from Liverpool 

Iirc, before Wahlstedt started playing, our goal difference wasn't too bad.

It's a shame Pears was injured forcing us to persevere.

• Moderation Lead
5 hours ago, damo100 said:

Just reading back from last night's game, particularly when we were a goal down, some posts on here were embarrassing. 

People are reactive during a game, as emotions run high, it happens.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

The shame was selling our best keeper.

Kaminski going was always happening once a PL club had shown an interest. The biggest shame was the amount we got for him.

My point was, Pears getting injured and having to perservere with Wahlstedt was damn bad luck. Pears isn't ideal but we wouldn't be -12 goal difference.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

People are reactive during a game, as emotions run high, it happens.

It does, I and many others appreciate that, however it's embarrassing looking back don't you agree?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If he does use 3 CBs its a big change after resisting doing it all the way up to WBA. I think he really doesn't want to do it, much prefers four at the back.