BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

26 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Just hope that the rumours are correct and that myself and @K-Hod get a wonderful birthday present after our final game of the season. 🙏

Mate that's not a birthday present, that's a birthday, Christmas, Easter, Hannukah and sod it I'll treat myself present all rolled into one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You missed my point. Why would Mowbray agree to it? If they want to sack him why would he stick around? He'd just say 'pay me up now' why on earth would he continue to work. It sounds very far-fetched. 

I'd like you to provide evidence that he has continued to work this season.

He's looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than on the touchline and his interviews, team selection and player management reeks of a guy that's going through the motions. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SoldierMo said:

Maybe Tony playing to the media acting innocent so when the sack comes he can fight for his payoff and look the angel he is in front of the media eyes

This just adds weight to my conspiracy theory that the media hates us.

He's the least charismatic man on the planet, yet the media throw him softballs all week. They'll be sympathetic if / when we get rid of him too.

They've already got the article written "done a good job / solid mid-table Championship team / L1 promotion etc / unlucky and needed more time". 

• Like 2

• Backroom

It's possible he's been given a very agreeable severence package based on continuing on as normal until the end of the season. I mean, he's under contract so why wouldn't he continue doing at the very least the bare minimum to ensure he gets a payoff when sacked? And let's face it, based on his evident boredom during matches these days he really is just doing the bare minimum. The alternative is not working, breaching his contract and getting no payout at all.

Entirely possible he hasn't been told directly, anyway, but knows what's coming regardless. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I saw the interview with him the other day (I think it was put on here) and he was the complete opposite of Mowbray i.e. full of positivity, full of passion and energy and sounding like someone the players could relate to. The interviewer made the point that after a poor start where they got dicked by Rovers and Ainsworthresponded that some teams had improved as the season has gone on but some had faded. I took that as a bit of a dig at Mowbray as we've got progressively worse. 

No idea if GA would be any good but what he's done at Wycombe is incredible. That's essentially a 4th Div Team. If the season was a few games longer they'd probably stay up.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He would massively galvanise the support and make going back on Ewood something to look forward to.  

I really like the guy. I take onboard that his achievements as a manager can be downplayed but I just have a gut feeling he has something about him that will work for us.

• Like 5

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

I'd like you to provide evidence that he has continued to work this season.

He's looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than on the touchline and his interviews, team selection and player management reeks of a guy that's going through the motions. 

Well, he's turned up and then nodded off in the dugout. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I saw the interview with him the other day (I think it was put on here) and he was the complete opposite of Mowbray i.e. full of positivity, full of passion and energy and sounding like someone the players could relate to. The interviewer made the point that after a poor start where they got dicked by Rovers and Ainsworthresponded that some teams had improved as the season has gone on but some had faded. I took that as a bit of a dig at Mowbray as we've got progressively worse. 

No idea if GA would be any good but what he's done at Wycombe is incredible. That's essentially a 4th Div Team. If the season was a few games longer they'd probably stay up.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. He would massively galvanise the support and make going back on Ewood something to look forward to.  

When we look at what he'd have here compared to Wycombe or even Preston then you look at us the last 2 seasons. Bang average and poor, could he do any worse ?

Even if it ended up similar at least it would be a different voice and approach to things. And at least with him you know he'd leave it all on the job i'm tired of the club looking like it just exists to serve Mowbrays purpose. Even tireder of the plonkers out there who go along with this and still hang on to his every word.

It needs a reboot and it needs either a good name or someone with some fire in his belly to do it.  

• Like 4

With reference to Ainsworth, I remember Gordon Lee being appointed our manager. He did not come with a glittering record, but he knew the importance of getting the crowd on his side. He did that and it was good to go to the Rovers.

• Like 6

The more I think about Ainsworth taking over the more it makes sense to me. 

Yes I'd sooner have a Wilder or a Bilic, but there's no chance Venky's would make that sort of an appointment. 

Atleast with Ainsworth there'd be a bit more passion and a more pragmatic approach to winning games, rather than this tippy tappy nonsense that's got us absolutely nowhere. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I really like the guy. I take onboard that his achievements as a manager can be downplayed but I just have a gut feeling he has something about him that will work for us.

Yep. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but he doesn't have the Pulis 'HSH' scent about him, so will very likely not be in the running.

32 minutes ago, rigger said:

With reference to Ainsworth, I remember Gordon Lee being appointed our manager. He did not come with a glittering record, but he knew the importance of getting the crowd on his side. He did that and it was good to go to the Rovers.

He didn't start off like that at all. We endured a terrible run of form, when he first took over/sold Field etc...but it worked like Souness's appointment. He had a few games to assess the squad before the summer and aid his preparation.

Mowbray remaining until the start of next season would be worst case...

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 2

I have a horrible feeling that if Mowbray does leave his replacement will be Pulis. I would love for Ainsworth to be the man rather than Wilder whose heart is still with the Blades.

We are still owned by Vs. Not hopeful at all.

56 minutes ago, Kie_BRFC said:

The more I think about Ainsworth taking over the more it makes sense to me. 

Yes I'd sooner have a Wilder or a Bilic, but there's no chance Venky's would make that sort of an appointment. 

Atleast with Ainsworth there'd be a bit more passion and a more pragmatic approach to winning games, rather than this tippy tappy nonsense that's got us absolutely nowhere. 

It should be a relatively safe and doable kind of appointment imo.  Not one to create hysteria but it shouldn't create dismay either like Coyle.  Mowbrays appointment was just meh in most fans eyes, Lambert was quite well received so i'd expect it to be similar to that.

Also by safe i mean it shouldn't cost a fortune and he might be keen so if it did go tits up, it shouldn't cost a fortune to knock it on the head either. However he'd need backing like Mowbray has had and he'd need time otherwise it's pointless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

He didn't start off like that at all. We endured a terrible run of form, when he first took over/sold Field etc...but it worked like Souness's appointment. He had a few games to assess the squad before the summer and aid his preparation.

Mowbray remaining until the start of next season would be worst case...

I never said that Lee got off to a good start. What I said was that he knew the importance of getting the fans on his side. Which is what he did. And that might be to Ainsworths advantage.

Edited by rigger

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, bazza said:

I have a horrible feeling that if Mowbray does leave his replacement will be Pulis. I would love for Ainsworth to be the man rather than Wilder whose heart is still with the Blades.

We are still owned by Vs. Not hopeful at all.

What's worse is that Pulis would likely be the most sensible and suitable appointment the owners had ever made during their time here - at the very least on par with Lambert.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mercer said:

Shocked and horrified.

It now seems more likely Mowbray will be offered a new extended contract rather than be sacked!  IMO, this is all too reminiscent of the Kean era.

You're a windup merchant Mercer, was it a liquid lunch? 

Last night you told the board he seems likely to be offered an extended contract.

You're little tinker you 😂

Edited by Gav

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

You're a windup merchant Mercer, was it a liquid lunch? 

Last night you told the board he seems likely to be offered an extended contract.

You're little tinker you 😂

You think what you want Gav.

This is too sensitive and emotional to wind folk up.

Not a drop passed my lips today - yet!

It's a lovely day, off for a six miler followed by a bite and a pint or two in a beautiful setting not too far away from Brockhall.  Just hope I don't bump into Mowbray!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You think what you want Gav.

This is too sensitive and emotional to wind folk up.

Not a drop passed my lips today - yet!

It's a lovely day, off for a six miler followed by a bite and a pint or two in a beautiful setting not too far away from Brockhall.  Just hope I don't bump into Mowbray!

You off on the Tolkein trail Merce followed by a bottle of vino collapso at the Shireburn?

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think @paulmani and @oldjamfan1could well be right and Mowbray is offski.

Spoke this lunchtime with the guy who told me after the Bournemouth match that Mowbray would be gone within hours - he'd seen my post last night and told me 'all was still on', patience called for.  Asked who he thought was next in line and how quickly he thought a new manager would be in place - would neither confirm nor deny Rovers had been turned down by a managerial target as that would be 'wild' speculation (think there might be a cryptic clue in there and I'd hazard a guess that Wilder was targeted but has bigger fish to fry).  Was loathe to post this after what didn't happen almost three long weeks ago but maybe there remains a glimmer of hope for those who want Mowbray gone.

I was told Eddie Howe was the one that had turned us down. We'd been in talks for weeks with him. 

• Like 1

Reading TMs quotes today and I've never seen a manager so blatantly send out a "I deserve the sack" message before. Just put him out of his misery in the summer and give him a payoff and let him go and spend some time with his family. 

He's not good enough and isn't enjoying the job now either. 

Ainsworth would be a no for me. There are managers out there who are good at managing the huge underdogs and getting them to punch above their weight, and then they struggle when they go to a bigger club and expectations are a lot higher. I'd put him in that bracket. He could very well go somewhere and prove me wrong though (and I hope he does)