BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (h) - 16/10/21

16 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’m all for bashing the manager but what? Do you mean because we’ve thrown leads away or are you actually saying that this squad on paper is in the top 3 in the league? Surely not the latter 😂

2-0 up at half time, buckley already booked, take him out of the game bring johnson on for a bit of bite in midfield, but no not Mowbray, game managemnet of the crappiest order, and flaming Gallagher,ship him out. subs again tony tombola, apart from Diaz who nearly won the game for us.

• Like 2

On 15/10/2021 at 16:14, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I fear the Mowbray death spiral is only just getting into gear following two losses. He always tends to draw the odd game in one of his famed death spirals, so I reckon this'll be 1-1.

Our striker options for this weekend illustrates further the shambles that we are off the pitch and what a terrible summer we had.

So predictable following rovers sometimes. 

As soon as that first went in for them, their second was the surest thing in football.

Sick to death of seeing the same sh*t under Mowbray.

• Like 5

Had a chat with my son at half time and we both agreed it would be another Luton. The old adage, the best form of defence is attack, was once again, the way to win this. Why we sat back, knowing that never works, is beyond me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

2-0 up at half time, buckley already booked, take him out of the game bring johnson on for a bit of bite in midfield, but no not Mowbray, game managemnet of the crappiest order, and flaming Gallagher,ship him out. subs again tony tombola, apart from Diaz who nearly won the game for us.

4 goals and 2 assists for Gallagher so far - I'm hoping we can trick a team into taking him off our hands. He's an absolute donkey. 

I'd send Poveda back too. Useless player. I feel sorry for Butterworth who can't get a game for some reason. 

• Like 3

I've seen and heard some baffling things in my time going watching Rovers but the latest, that a draw against Coventry at home is a point gained or one we would have been happy with before kick off, perhaps tops the lot.

This is Coventry who Mowbray left consigned to relegation to League Two, who were playing in that division when we were in League One, who have had no serious cash to spend and no stadium to play in, and now we with our 'stability' and substantial spending and losses over the last 4 years are looking on them as a decent side? When did that happen?

As far the game. Boring. Same old Mowbray Rovers. You can change season and change players but the same manager, same routine and same excuses. We're back to needing 3 to win a game, Mowbray's speciality.

4 points chucked away against that noisy lot and Luton that we had in our hands from good individual quality. Today Rothwell got us the two goals through individual determination and quality, I thought we were lucky to be 2-0 up but you have to seize it when it comes and the performance in the second half just symptomatic of a side with no idea how to approach the game or how to manage a 2-0 lead.

The second half I found to be a depressing affair, an air of inevitability to their equaliser, and after that Ewood seemed flat and defeated.

Lets just hope that these points we are squandering don't end up relegating us, anyone who thinks we aren't in for a relegation scrap I think needs to brace themselves.

• Like 9

There is not enough bite in midfield, no strength or defensive nous.

Mowbray wants to play tombola, no consistency other than the inability to hold on to a lead, never mind a clean sheet.

3 at the back doesn't work,

Substitutions other than Brereton, like bringing schoolboys on to a man's game.

• Like 1

Gallagher is simply awful but every now and then he scores and Moggosaurus thinks I bought the club a gem there. Terrible tactics from minute one of the second half. Dropped off as usual; you could see what was coming. Mowbray is just too defensive in his thinking instead of going for the jugular when 2 nil up. He never learns. Another frustrating afternoon

• Like 1

Very frustrating afternoon and another occasion on which we throw away a 2 goal lead which isn't good enough.

Think that Mowbray got his tactics wrong today, 3 at the back didn't work and Van Hecke didn't impress me. Lenihan also had to play left centre back in a 3 when he is usually right in a 2 and you could tell that he was uncomfortable. We invited pressure for too long in the second half, the first goal was coming for a while and when it did, a second was inevitable. Edun was very hit and miss too, nearly put them through in the first minute and lost the ball quite a few times trying to take risks, although he did also do some positive bits of play. Nyambe was fine as was Ayala, but for all the talk of being more defensively solid this year, 2 clean sheets is piss poor and simply not good enough in giving us solid foundations, Kaminski was also shaky and his distribution is poor.

Rothwell deserved man of the match, lets see if he can follow it up with some consistency. Buckley was stupid for picking up a needless yellow and could have been sent off, and Travis I am unconvinced suits that role as the deepest of the 3. Dolan was fairly ineffective, and Gallagher had a strange day, the ball just does not stick with him, poor touch (which led to a Coventry goal) and constantly offside, he is not clever at all. That being said, great goal and assist so he did his job. The subs were questionable, Davenport again was poor and it should have been Johnson to bring us some experience, and I think a needless and huge risk was taken regarding rushing Brereton back into action.

Poveda seems to be again getting stick, I thought in his first 3 games, 2 of which he started, he was piss poor. That being said, I actually thought today he was good, he did more than Dolan I would suggest and showed signs of spark. Numerous times when he got the ball or even prior to that, people around me were already critical, and having read on here since and also on twitter, I suspect that unfortunately his card is marked and that people have made up their minds. Now to clarify, that is not a criticism of a "lack of support" towards him, people suggesting the same about Brereton when he joined drives me mad, it is people sharing an opinion to their friends or online that Poveda is oblivious too, so no problem, but I thought he did well today.

53 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agreed, championship standard is pretty awful this year, got to be making playoffs this season, a good manager does it with the squad we have.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This squad could and should be top 3 now 

This squad is far from a top 3 or top 6 squad. It is paper thin, you look at our first 11 which is competitive and even then, you have a player signed for the under 23s a year ago after Preston let him go playing a critical role. We have 4 very raw loanees signed for a pittance making the numbers up.

I accept the criticisms about today and Luton, it is not a good habit and Mowbray takes blame as I have mentioned above. But equally, we got a late winner at Forest, we stole a point from Millwall, points have been earnt and lost in similar situations.

29 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

No idea where he was for the second goal.

I honestly think Davenport plays how Trav did before he got Mowbrayed (pre Mowbrayed being good) 

How on earth can you say that Davenport has been "Mowbrayed?" He has barely played in a Rovers shirt following Mowbray signing him because when he has, he has been poor, and he has also often been injured. He hardly had played prior to joining either. Where have you got this impression from that he is like Travis prior to having the ability and life sucked out of him by Mowbray?!

32 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Just got back. That one is entirely on the manager and his total inaction. He’s a disgrace. Stood on the touch line throwing his hands in the air instead of making a change. He spent 10 minutes watching us get dominated in midfield and did nothing.

Coventry looked crap. If they’re 4th best in the league then a play off spot is firmly there for the taking with this squad, just not with that idiot in charge.

What is with the obsession with everyone finding outrage in how Mowbray acts on the touchline? There is enough to discuss and potentially criticise on the pitch including Mowbray's tactics, subs, even signings without obsessing over him being "a disgrace" getting frustrated on the sidelines.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Poveda seems to be again getting stick, I thought in his first 3 games, 2 of which he started, he was piss poor. That being said, I actually thought today he was good, he did more than Dolan I would suggest and showed signs of spark. Numerous times when he got the ball or even prior to that, people around me were already critical, and having read on here since and also on twitter, I suspect that unfortunately his card is marked and that people have made up their minds. Now to clarify, that is not a criticism of a "lack of support" towards him, people suggesting the same about Brereton when he joined drives me mad, it is people sharing an opinion to their friends or online that Poveda is oblivious too, so no problem, but I thought he did well today.

I was critical of Dolan, but he's come on leaps and bounds with game time.

Poveda, for all his skill, evidently doesn't have a football brain. It's no good being able to trick your way past your marker if you look up and don't know what to do with the ball. That happened multiple times today.

• Like 2

Van Hecke started poorly but grew into the game by half time, however he was dreadful in the second half. Looked knackered and slow, poor on the ball, positionally naive, and it’s a miracle he wasn’t sent off.

Edun looks an upgrade on Pickering.

Gallagher can’t do some of the very basics that you’d expect of a player at this level, he’d be better suited to a team like Millwall.

Rothwell is hugely talented at picking the ball up deep and getting us up the pitch. It’s an invaluable skill that we seem to be utilising better, but other areas of his game really frustrate.

Nyambe’s battle with Dabo in the second half was brilliant.

Poveda is a waste of a squad place.

Taking Buckley off was sensible, but why on earth did Johnson not come on?

Mowbray is to blame for us not winning today. In all honesty we were fairly fortunate to go in 2 up at half time, but coming out in the second and sitting back was stupid. Why try and hold a 2-0 lead for 45 minutes, it was almost inevitable what would happen.

Seeing Speedie back on the Ewood pitch was the highlight.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

It is time the  crowd instead of singing about a party , when Burnley go down...

Flipped the record over to Mowbray Out !!

I made the point at the game that losing a two goal lead was entirely down to Mowbray's decision to go defensive at half time. No one disagreed. He probably blames the team, the way he walked up & down shaking his head. Please resign Tony. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I was critical of Dolan, but he's come on leaps and bounds with game time.

Poveda, for all his skill, evidently doesn't have a football brain. It's no good being able to trick your way past your marker if you look up and don't know what to do with the ball. That happened multiple times today.

Dolan has developed 100%, but today bar a couple of weak shots I thought he was pretty poor, perhaps still not over his illness. I thought that Poveda did well when his came on, played one great ball to Brereton and made a few decent contributions I thought. I fear that his card may already be marked.

Just back from the game and It's a game when we should be having 3 points from and win on the board. But we aren't and I will discuss in my opinion why that is. 

So on to first half, Both sides had chances with Kaminski making 2 good saves whilst Nyambe had a shot that forced their keeper Moore into a good side. We scored 2 good goals with Rothwell and Gallagher scoring. Like I said in the build up to the games I am not worried about us scoring goals cos the players always step up and performs. I felt the 3 at the back was working well and we look quite solid. My only 2 concerns at half time was Buckley being booked and Gallagher overall performance. 

Second half we started off slow and for me far too deep was defensive line of our back 3. We need to push up and play 15 yards further forward but we couldn't keep hold of the ball enough. And We conceded twice with 7 mins of each other. Felt we let them in far too easily for the first goal and Lenihan/Edun should have done better but this was after a poor pass by Gallagher to allow them the ball back. With the second goal, we left loads of space in centre midfield and Kelly had space and time to hit it and he did. It was Own goal but we were far too easy to play against. After the second goal went in, the Rovers fans wanted Brereton Diaz on and was chanting for him to come on. And he did. He lift the crowd and his team mates. Thought he would win it for us and he almost did. But it was good save from Moore and I think offside he was. So it was point on the board. 

I Felt Rovers best players was Joe Rothwell and Ryan Nyambe today. Rothwell deserved MOTM and Nyambe was very good aswell. Lenihan had a good first half but was poor second half and looked uneasy at the left centre back role. 

On to the Rovers playing 3 at the back, I felt the first half we look quite solid and second half I didn't feel like it was problem and the reasons why we conceded 2 goals and playing so badly second half. 

On the subs, Mowbray should have taken Buckley off a half time or just after second half(first 10 mins of the half) cos we need a midfielder who could have put tackles in and Buckley couldn't due to being on Yellow card from first half. I wouldn't have bought on Poveda for Dolan but I would have bought on Butterworth.. Poveda was poor again and lost the ball a number of times. I would send him back to Leeds in January if he doesn't improve shortly.  Agree with Brereton for Gallagher who was poor despite his goal. 

On Mowbray, Far too slow second half to making changes to the team. Plus why isn't he telling the back 5 to push further up the pitch instead of being so deep. Plus why can't we keep clean sheet when we are 2 nil up or winning. 

The fans was great again and provide a good overall atmosphere and the Coventry fans played their part in this. 

Also It was good to see the TV screen working and showing the lineups and Replays. Plus enjoyed the new scoreboard and minute clock that the club have installed now. Good to finally see this. 

Plus David Speedie came on to the pitch at half time and got a good reception from both set of fans

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dolan has developed 100%, but today bar a couple of weak shots I thought he was pretty poor, perhaps still not over his illness.

well considered he barely trained all week from what I am told, He put in a shift again but not 100% fit

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought that Poveda did well when his came on

Thought he was awful and he lost the ball too many time and not what we need when he came on

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Just back from the game and It's a game when we should be having 3 points from and win on the board. But we aren't and I will discuss in my opinion why that is. 

So on to first half, Both sides had chances with Kaminski making 2 good saves whilst Nyambe had a shot that forced their keeper Moore into a good side. We scored 2 good goals with Rothwell and Gallagher scoring. Like I said in the build up to the games I am not worried about us scoring goals cos the players always step up and performs. I felt the 3 at the back was working well and we look quite solid. My only 2 concerns at half time was Buckley being booked and Gallagher overall performance. 

Second half we started off slow and for me far too deep was defensive line of our back 3. We need to push up and play 15 yards further forward but we couldn't keep hold of the ball enough. And We conceded twice with 7 mins of each other. Felt we let them in far too easily for the first goal and Lenihan/Edun should have done better but this was after a poor pass by Gallagher to allow them the ball back. With the second goal, we left loads of space in centre midfield and Kelly had space and time to hit it and he did. It was Own goal but we were far too easy to play against. After the second goal went in, the Rovers fans wanted Brereton Diaz on and was chanting for him to come on. And he did. He lift the crowd and his team mates. Thought he would win it for us and he almost did. But it was good save from Moore and I think offside he was. So it was point on the board. 

I Felt Rovers best players was Joe Rothwell and Ryan Nyambe today. Rothwell deserved MOTM and Nyambe was very good aswell. Lenihan had a good first half but was poor second half and looked uneasy at the left centre back role. 

On to the Rovers playing 3 at the back, I felt the first half we look quite solid and second half I didn't feel like it was problem and the reasons why we conceded 2 goals and playing so badly second half. 

On the subs, Mowbray should have taken Buckley off a half time or just after second half(first 10 mins of the half) cos we need a midfielder who could have put tackles in and Buckley couldn't due to being on Yellow card from first half. I wouldn't have bought on Poveda for Dolan but I would have bought on Butterworth. Agree with Brereton for Gallagher who was poor despite his goal. 

On Mowbray, Far too slow second half to making changes to the team. Plus why isn't he telling the back 5 to push further up the pitch instead of being so deep. Plus why can't we keep clean sheet when we are 2 nil up or winning. 

The fans was great again and provide a good overall atmosphere and the Coventry fans played their part in this. 

Also It was good to see the TV screen working and showing the lineups and Replays. Plus enjoyed the new scoreboard and minute clock that the club have installed now. Good to finally see this. 

Thought Edun was one of our better players today, from what I saw of him at Blackpool and his performance today he should be starting every game, whether that be at left back or in midfield. The game is what it is, same old stuff under Mowbray. I’m not even that bothered because I just expect it now, he should have gone in the summer and didn’t so we will plod along for the rest of this season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

On the subs, Mowbray should have taken Buckley off a half time or just after second half(first 10 mins of the half) cos we need a midfielder who could have put tackles in and Buckley couldn't due to being on Yellow card from first half. I wouldn't have bought on Poveda for Dolan but I would have bought on Butterworth. Agree with Brereton for Gallagher who was poor despite his goal. 

Agreed on Lenihan looking uncomfortable as a left centre back, a direct result of playing 3 at the back. I do think that it was part of the problem out of inviting pressure in the second half.

A big issue for us is the inability of Dolan and Gallagher to hold the ball up. We couldn't push out partly because of playing an extra defender but everytime the ball went forward, it came straight back. Gallagher I agree was poor and his general game does tend to be really poor, he doesn't win headers, he can't play with his back to goal, he keeps running offside, he just isn't very good. We also lack the composure in midfield to control the game, take the sting out of it and keep the ball. Johnson should have come on with his experience rather than Davenport who isn't very good. The defensive record is really poor, 2 clean sheets is not enough to build on, the idea of becoming a more defensively solid team as you have mentioned wont be happening soon I don't think.

Disagree on Poveda too. Maybe people have made their mind up on him but I thought he was ok when he came on, tried to add a spark.

• Like 1

we should all club together to hire a surveillance expert to eavesdrop on mowbrays half time ramblings,as in the luton match,did he expect the opposition being 2-0 down  to come out and admit defeat???the big difference is their manager got in their ear and ours did`nt do anything,the 2nd half they upped their level and ours dropped,god i can`t wait for the end of season already!!!!!!!the dopey **** will never,ever get us anywhere,it took saxton and mackay 2 season to launch a bid for promotion,on an absolute shoestring budget,it`s taken mowbray 5 to just get us back to where we were under coyle

• Like 7