BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (a) - 2/4/22

16 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Also, it’s handy being able to make a couple of subs when your players are knackered with 5 minutes to go. Unfortunately we can’t cos we have to use them to completely reshape the team at half time.

Yep exactly, great point. 

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not surprised to see you post the above as you do your best to defend Mowbray at every turn.

The other poor managers we've had in the past have had to by and large scrape by on buttons.

Mowbray has wasted tens of millions of pounds.

Seemingly to no avail.

And yet venkys slow him to continue. 

Such a damning indictment of venkys. His many at Ewood, either the owners or staff, actually care? 

We're completely lost as a club. The only thing that will possibly see us progressing is for venkys to sell up

• Like 3

We’ve never looked solid with a back 4, and I believe that’s due to the gaping hole in front of them that is Joe Rothwell, who does nothing defensively. Travis can’t be everywhere, though he tries to be. Rothwell should’ve been where the guy who put the cross in was but miles away as usual. Then, not for the first time, Nyambe gets done at the back post, nowhere near getting a strong challenge in.

My Hail Mary for the last six games is 4-3-3:

Whoever is fit in the back 4, Travis Johnson and Buckley in the middle; Brereton, Dack and Dolan up front. If we keep playing Gallagher and Rothwell we have no chance.

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not surprised to see you post the above as you do your best to defend Mowbray at every turn.

The other poor managers we've had in the past have had to by and large scrape by on buttons.

Mowbray has wasted tens of millions of pounds.

Seemingly to no avail.

By the way, has anything at all come from those cryptic meetings that you couldnt say anything more about at the time but that made you optimistic that Venkys were about to actually run thr club properly?

You would think that to make you genuinely optimistic, they would at least have sacked the worst pound for pound manager in 50 years by now? Was it a false dawn?

• Like 1

I checked the score at 17:00 thinking it was over. What a sickening goal to concede. I’m not sure how many points we’ve thrown away at the death this season but it’s happened twice in 3 games which is criminal. It doesn’t really matter though in reality as we aren’t good enough to win the playoffs…it would just lead to more heartbreak. It’s better this way. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, booth said:

Heartbreaking.

You have to question the manager, everything about the first half was wrong.

He then left Gallagher on all match so we were effectively playing with ten.

Hedges on, Dolan left out. Goodness knows why.

I think that gives everyone a taste of what it would be like to be in the play offs with TM in charge.

Exactly , Dolan would have been buzzing after his goal for England midweek, I can see no logic as to why he wasn't brought on or even start the game 

5 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Just seen the equaliser what the hell was nyambe doing? Shocking defending 

As Miller said we’d wasted the subs correcting the awful shape and personnel from the first half. Therefore Nyambe could hardly move but had to carry on.

12 minutes ago, broadsword said:

And yet venkys slow him to continue. 

Such a damning indictment of venkys. His many at Ewood, either the owners or staff, actually care? 

We're completely lost as a club. The only thing that will possibly see us progressing is for venkys to sell up

Every time we get a chance to kick on we( the chicken chokers ) blow it. When we got promoted last time the town was buzzing . Sold out stadium for the last game. Everybody’s ready for a go at the championship. Then we have have the dead hand of Mowbray and the Indians just content to go into the new season with the guys who got us promoted with a couple brought in to “ help the lads out “. No ambition.

Same story at Xmas - no real reinforcements, just more bits and pieces players, squaddies. No ambition again.

Next season we’ll be back to the usual fight to stay in the league. 

• Like 9

The strange thing with all the time wasting was the ref kept telling the players he was going to add the time on. The extra rest was good for Coventry as they were building up energy levels. At the end we had Rothwell, Dack and Nyambe who could barely move. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silas said:

I thought he'd gone off for a bit and we were playing with 10 (9 if you factor in Gally) , till I spotted him limping around. 

He went off for a bit and didnt come straight back on, was stretching on the side and I expected us to have to finish with 10.

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

As Miller said we’d wasted the subs correcting the awful shape and personnel from the first half. Therefore Nyambe could hardly move but had to carry on.

To be fair, whilst the need to make subs early is not a good thing. Even had we made no subs at HT, by the time Nyambe got injured, the 3 subs would almost certainly have been made anyway.

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

We were only ever going to get a half maximum out of Brererton and Dack so we’re two subs down to start with. Nyambe wouldn’t have played at all in my opinion but for all the other cry offs. Where was that bastard Ayala when you need him ? A waste of space !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair, whilst the need to make subs early is not a good thing. Even had we made no subs at HT, by the time Nyambe got injured, the 3 subs would almost certainly have been made anyway.

True, but probably not  brought on 3 attacking players when we had already started with just a back 4.

Edited by Hasta

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were only ever going to get a half maximum out of Brererton and Dack so we’re two subs down to start with. Nyambe wouldn’t have played at all in my opinion but for all the other cry offs. Where was that bastard Ayala when you need him ? A waste of space !

I’d rather have had the first half out of them, got infront and then gone more solid. Instead we gifted them a 1 goal league, had to change it to get back into and were left trying to defend with a predominantly attacking line-up. 

As i said last time in a similar situation, if he’s only going to get a half out of them why not one in the first half and one in the second seeing as with the starting lineup we hadn’t scored away since mid-March.

Instead we did the same as we have done for the last 2  months which hasn’t worked at all.

Stupidity.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He went off for a bit and didnt come straight back on, was stretching on the side and I expected us to have to finish with 10.

You cannot say that for certain, as it didn't happen. What can be said is that two substitutions were forced at half-time, to correct the awful team, picked for the first-half.

• Like 1

The man is simply not a winner, a whimpering mess of a manager.

as others have pointed out, any stattos out there have our for/against in mowbrays reign 85min + , it most surely will be abysmal , feels like we always drop points late yet never get a winner. It sums up the manager to me entirely, managers who can make winners that look like draws/ losses, ours makes losses / draws when it’s easier to win 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

For the money Ayala is getting paid and the time injured since we got him i'd put him down in the top 3 worst signings since Mowbray got here,his wages could have been used on a offering a better contract for Lenihan to get him to stay instead of using it on a crock.

• Like 3

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We blew that game with another tactical inept no show in the first half.

Draw fair on the balance it was a game of two halves however cruel it was.

Nothing more needs to be said.

If we're being honest we were lucky to go in at half time only one down. Probably should have been two or three. So, whilst you could consider a 99th min equaliser unlucky, on balance, as you say, probably fair. 

I'm not feeling hugely angry as I fully expected something like this to happen, even when we were riding high. When ridiculous comments about erecting statues in Mowbray's honour were being made, there were a fair few ("negative") counter comments noting that the season doesn't end in December and we should wait and see. I was very much in that pessimistic camp, and in this instance I'm glad, as it limits the disappointment somewhat. I never had faith in TM and always expected him to screw this up. Not quite this bad - I at least thought it'd be the playoffs we crashed out in - but in a way this might be better as a playoff finish would have made for an argument for him to stay, irrespective of how we performed in the playoffs themselves. Finishing outside the top six after getting ourselves to second and something like 10 points clear of 7th can only be seen as an abject failure.

• Like 8

Three thoughts on a depressing afternoon aside from the obvious:

1) Whilst I thought we would fly 2nd I'm shocked at how easily we have capitulated the playoff places. Shocking really for such a turn around. 

2) It probably doesn't matter but a draw probably means Coventry won't catch us as they will run out of games given their form. Shame a few other teams will though. 

3) I like our away kit. 

On the TM worst manager ever. Nowhere near.  But I would say he is the most underperforming manager we have had. Coyle, Ince etc couldn't run a bath much less a team. Their best was not good enough. 

TM however. All his mistakes are rectifiable. Players out of position, terrible line ups that need rectifying at half time - if he got basic obvious decisions correct - which on occasion he has - rather than a who is crappest at right wing competition we would be so much better. It's his own stubbornness and overly high opinion of himself that holes us below the waterline. It's criminal. It really is. 

• Like 4