BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

30 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'd guess that it's just a very low-traffic market, so odds changing would be hyper-sensitive to pretty small amounts of money.

It reminds me a little bit of 'next party leader' markets for political betting. Hardly anyone bets on that sort of thing until there's an election on, so those that do have a flutter can end up shifting the odds pretty substantially based on small sums and (occasionally) educated guesses. 

Are you Mercer in disguise? 

• Like 1

I don't want Lampard at Blackburn as its just not the appointment the club needs right now but I wouldn't say he was awful. 

His first management gig at Derby wasn't a disaster. Cocu came in a more experienced manager with a better reputation and did worse. Should Derby have made the playoffs yes but I don't think Frank was awful for his first job in management.

His first season with Chelsea under embargo blooding youth can only be seen as a success under the circumstances. 

This season he was unbeaten in the champions league group stages which not many awful managers could claim to have achieved.

He was always going to be under massive pressure with the squad they assembled and his decision making, defensive setup etc at times cost him but after only 2.5 years in management with this season being his first managing a super club style budget, I think its harsh to say he's awful.

Greats of the game didn't always hit the ground running from the off, even in our own lives we have to learn from our mistakes hence most Directors are at the latter end of their careers.

For me he deserves a crack somewhere but not what we need.

Edited by Southside Rover
  • Like 8

13 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

I don't want Lampard at Blackburn as its just not the appointment the club needs right now but I wouldn't say he was awful. 

His first management gig at Derby wasn't a disaster. Cocu came in a more experienced manager with a better reputation and did worse. Should Derby have made the playoffs yes but I don't think Frank was awful for his first job in management.

His first season with Chelsea under embargo blooding youth can only be seen as a success under the circumstances. 

This season he was unbeaten in the champions league group stages which not many awful managers could claim to have achieved.

He was always going to be under massive pressure with the squad they assembled and his decision making, defensive setup etc at times cost him but after only 2.5 years in management with this season being his first managing a super club style budget, I think its harsh to say he's awful.

Greats of the game didn't always hit the ground running from the off, even in our own lives we have to learn from our mistakes hence most Directors are at the latter end of their careers.

For me he deserves a crack somewhere but not what we need.

That's pretty much how I see it. He's had a crash course in management over the last couple of years, but it's really hard to suss out how prepared that makes him for a Championship team without the resources Derby had a few years ago.

He wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list, but there are plenty of sillier options out there. We just aren't really in a position to take too much of a punt at the moment. 

• Like 1

On 11/05/2021 at 23:38, DeeCee said:

By the time he's a good manager, FL will be above us, sad to say, or not depending on your pov

Does FL stand for Frank Lampard or Football League? I think either could be applicable.

• Like 2

Both great midfield players who have played at the top level and will have respect of young players.

Stevie G taken the easy option (?) up at Rangers but has no real option but to go to a big PL club and win trophys as his next job. Liverpool I suppose.

Frank did OK at Chelsea. Didn't he build the team that are now in the Champions League and FA Cup finals ? They just brought in Tuchel who has added that top level experience which FL didn't have yet.

Both will be top managers I suspect. Be interesting watching their careers develop and no doubt cross swords many times in the future.

I would welcome either over Mowbray. 

• Like 1

I said that if he is still in charge a week after the season ends we are stuck with him. That time has now arrived and he is still here. In addition there have been numerous articles in the local press which suggest, without doubt, he will be here next season. @Paul Mani@oldjamfan1 how is it looking. Not having a go, just seeking comfort that maybe all hope is not lost and things may still be happening. 

32 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

I said that if he is still in charge a week after the season ends we are stuck with him. That time has now arrived and he is still here. In addition there have been numerous articles in the local press which suggest, without doubt, he will be here next season. @Paul Mani@oldjamfan1 how is it looking. Not having a go, just seeking comfort that maybe all hope is not lost and things may still be happening. 

All I know is that spending had been halted a couple of weeks ago and ‘they’ very much  believed that a change was imminent. 

• Like 3

Just now, Lucimo said:

He isn't going anywhere. He probably never was. There is no comfort blanket here, just a damp, shit-stained duvet rotting under a bridge. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

All I know is that spending had been halted a couple of weeks ago and ‘they’ very much  believed that a change was imminent. 

The halt on spending isn’t new though. For the majority of the time they’ve been here, the manager hasn’t had a clue what he has to spend during the summer.

Groundhog day all over. He’ll only go when he’s finally fed up of not getting to speak directly with them (ie the famed late summer confirmation of budget doesn’t come this time) or if somebody finally gets in their ear ala Bowyer.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The halt on spending isn’t new though. For the majority of the time they’ve been here, the manager hasn’t had a clue what he has to spend during the summer.

Spending was halted for Bowyer in summer 2015 - wasn't sacked until October. Turning off the taps alone is far from a good indicator of the manager leaving imminently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

the manager hasn’t had a clue what he has to spend during the summer.

Mowbray has always know what his budget after his meetings with owners. 

I don't know what communications he has had with the owners and Pasha about this coming season's budget. 

Hopefully a change still happens but I'm not counting on it currently

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray has always know what his budget after his meetings with owners. 

I don't know what communications he has had with the owners and Pasha about this coming season's budget. 

Hopefully a change still happens but I'm not counting on it currently

The tanker has dropped anchor....ready to turn....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

As at mid April the understanding was that he was leaving, no two ways about it, but not until the end of the season.

I personally thought that was one of the main reasons why we were in the midst of a death spiral of one win in 14 at the time and the players were performing so badly. They weren't responding to him because they knew he was a dead man walking. (At that point)

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As at mid April the understanding was that he was leaving, no two ways about it, but not until the end of the season.

I personally thought that was one of the main reasons why we were in the midst of a death spiral of one win in 14 at the time and the players were performing so badly. They weren't responding to him because they knew he was a dead man walking. (At that point)

But it was the same last season. We started lockdown about a point of 6tg, ended on a death spiral....

No change.

12 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Did I read somewhere that the review of the season was happening at some point last week?

(Might have dreamt that (it was a nightmare about TM signing an 8 year contract))

Probably delegated to Mowbray, Venus and Waggott, who all agreed it had been a roaring success and reported this back to Venkys.

Reading the Sharpe tweet, we may as well lock the thread (not that there was any point in it in the first place)... re-open in time for a Venky panic sacking when marooned in the bottom 3 at some point next season 

Edited by Mattyblue

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Reading the Sharpe tweet, we may as well lock the thread (not that there was any point in it in the first place)... re-open in time for a Venky panic sacking when marooned in the bottom 3 at some point next season 

I genuinely don’t think Sharpe would have a clue if we were about to pot Mowbray. Not that I think we will btw.

• Like 2