BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

On 04/07/2021 at 09:51, JoeH said:

It's a complete system change if you buy a player like Wyke. He's a target man, a Kieffer Moore. He got 30 goals last year and a stupidly large amount of them are headers. Harry Pickering would have a field day playing with him, with his main asset being his crossing and chance creation, somebody like Adam Reach would probably play well with him too.

However... how well does the current system work with him up top? Signing a player like that means a complete shift in approach. You can't play Brereton, Rothwell, Dolan around a Wyke and play the same football we've played this season and succeed. 

He can't be an Armstrong replacement. If he came in it would HAVE to mean a complete change in system and shape. Does Mowbray want to revert back to the football we played with Danny Graham?

I think that’s the only way to get himself a new contract. 

41 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think that’s the only way to get himself a new contract. 

That implies that:

1. Mowbray's future is connected to results.

2. That playing direct football would automatically result in better results.

Not sure that either is true and indeed Wyke in the team replacing Armstrong with the same manager would I suspect have us bang in danger at the bottom.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Blackburn Rovers are interested in signing Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Robbie Burton.

Blackburn Rovers interested in Dinamo Zagreb midfielder formerly of Arsenal - LancsLive

An untested kid on loan. Would be difficult to be excited over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

That implies that:

1. Mowbray's future is connected to results.

2. That playing direct football would automatically result in better results.

Not sure that either is true and indeed Wyke in the team replacing Armstrong with the same manager would I suspect have us bang in danger at the bottom.

An untested kid on loan. Would be difficult to be excited over. 

At least he is not from Teeside.

On 04/07/2021 at 09:51, JoeH said:

It's a complete system change if you buy a player like Wyke. He's a target man, a Kieffer Moore. He got 30 goals last year and a stupidly large amount of them are headers. Harry Pickering would have a field day playing with him, with his main asset being his crossing and chance creation, somebody like Adam Reach would probably play well with him too.

However... how well does the current system work with him up top? Signing a player like that means a complete shift in approach. You can't play Brereton, Rothwell, Dolan around a Wyke and play the same football we've played this season and succeed. 

He can't be an Armstrong replacement. If he came in it would HAVE to mean a complete change in system and shape. Does Mowbray want to revert back to the football we played with Danny Graham?

Can't see him changing the system now. He's spent the last few seasons telling us the way to get promoted is to dominate the ball, have more possession etc.

To revert to hoofing it up to a target man would be against everything he's said about the way he wants us play, the identity he claims to be building.

If we had to sit through that garbage second half of the season with an odd win in 17 games trying to persevere with this system with the belief that it would come good eventually, only to shift policy almost immediately would be a complete a joke and should only result in Mowbray's dismissal (but it wouldn't)

Would be a complete piss take if he did that.

Luckily, it doesn’t look like we are actually signing this guy, so its probably all irrelevant anyway 😂

• Like 1

mowbray won`t change,however he`ll still shuffle players around anywhere and everywhere and he definately would have wyke and gallagher out wide with god knows who in the middle(if armstrong gets sold)he lost the plot 2 seasons ago and now he`s just content to appear to know what he`s doing while picking up his wages

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Can't see him changing the system now. He's spent the last few seasons telling us the way to get promoted is to dominate the ball, have more possession etc.

To revert to hoofing it up to a target man would be against everything he's said about the way he wants us play, the identity he claims to be building.

If we had to sit through that garbage second half of the season with an odd win in 17 games trying to persevere with this system with the belief that it would come good eventually, only to shift policy almost immediately would be a complete a joke and should only result in Mowbray's dismissal (but it wouldn't)

Would be a complete piss take if he did that.

Luckily, it doesn’t look like we are actually signing this guy, so its probably all irrelevant anyway 😂

He's so full of sh#t these days anything can happen especially if it preserves his job.

Remember Danny Graham saying how Mowbray and Venus have opposite views on how the game should be played. One prefers tippy tappy, the other prefers a more direct game. Wouldn't surprise me if, under this shambles of a setup, it's now time to go back to Venus' preferred method.

8 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Remember Danny Graham saying how Mowbray and Venus have opposite views on how the game should be played. One prefers tippy tappy, the other prefers a more direct game. Wouldn't surprise me if, under this shambles of a setup, it's now time to go back to Venus' preferred method.

Well strictly speaking isn't Venus now Mowbray's boss? I'm confused but I'm sure at one stage Venus was Head of Football or something. Maybe he's taken control.

Mowbray likes to let Venus manage which is why some games he makes a point of sitting down or upstairs all the game not moving and leaves it to Venus.

Weird stuff but a quick look at the Coventry stuff suggests they've form for it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Sounds like a Steve Bruce moment..

To be fair, Mowbray's success here has been with a target man.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Sounds like a Steve Bruce moment..

To be fair, Mowbray's success here has been with a target man.  

And with a number 10 playing off said target man, without Dacky there’s no one in the squad to play that role. Dack and Graham linked up brilliantly for us. 

7 hours ago, Butty said:

And with a number 10 playing off said target man, without Dacky there’s no one in the squad to play that role. Dack and Graham linked up brilliantly for us. 

Players in our squad who I think could play as a number 10 (inside forward). Armstrong, Chapman, Rothwell, McBride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Players in our squad who I think could play as a number 10 (inside forward). Armstrong, Chapman, Rothwell, McBride.

Don't think it would get the best out of Armstrong, unless he goes back to scoring 30 screamers every week. You need him right up to get the most from his pace

Chapman, in theory yes, but in practice I haven't seen it yet 

Rothwell probably the best shout. Although surely he has played there? I can't remember 

I haven't seen him, so can't make a call there 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

People pushing Mcbride as a potential addition to the squad. Personally I regard , Butterworth and Vale  ahead of him in performances and potential, however both have had their progress halted by injuries.

The link to Wyke is tenuous, however if true, this would prove Mowbray's scattergun approach to transfers, especially c/forwards playing as wingers.

Wyke right wing,Brereton left wing, and of course Gallagher overlapping full back.

• Like 1

All this talk of changing the system, which system are we talking about? We played 2 versions of 4-3-3 last season, one with Armstrong and one with a false 9. We also played 4-2-3-1 as well as some wing back monstrosity and a 4-2-2-2 at times. Other than the first dozen games we haven't had a consistent plan all of last season.  One of the reasons we keep struggling so much. 

• Like 2

I think the Telegraph are doing the clubs bidding here. 

An almost daily reference to Armstrong, now they've started with the 'bids' in but rejected.

I don't believe them.

It is in Rovers' interests to keep this in the limelight for as long as possible.

Zero information in that article beyond what we already knew.

They're trying to bring interested parties out into the open.

Normal clubs would be pressing ahead with recruitment and planning for improvement next season, the focus here is on cashing in.

Shameless.