BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The problem with your sort of argument is that Benson can never win - if the player he coaches does well then apparently it is all down to the player. Noboby is going to tell me you would use the same argument if Benson was a popular former player like "good old Johnno".

There is no argument to be had.

A novice coaching from a manual was coaching young keepers and putting a loanee through his paces.  Now he's got an experienced international number 1 there everyday.

Who's rubbing off on who ?   What can he possibly 'teach' someone like Kaminsky ?

Nothing, apart from perhaps offering stats on the opposition.  So in effect having him around is better for Benson and his own learning curve no ?

The Johnno comment is bollocks seeing as he had a very good and long career as a high level player.  So no correlation whatsoever but yes he should be perfectly able to coach the first team instead of Mowbray and Venus.

How could he be worse than 1 win in 14 with such a good squad to pick from that he knows very well.

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

There is no argument to be had.

A novice coaching from a manual was coaching young keepers and putting a loanee through his paces.  Now he's got an experienced international number 1 there everyday.

Who's rubbing off on who ?   What can he possibly 'teach' someone like Kaminsky ?

Nothing, apart from perhaps offering stats on the opposition.  So in effect having him around is better for Benson and his own learning curve no ?

The Johnno comment is bollocks seeing as he had a very good and long career as a high level player.  So no correlation whatsoever but yes he should be perfectly able to coach the first team instead of Mowbray and Venus.

How could he be worse than 1 win in 14 with such a good squad to pick from that he knows very well.

I think Benson has been coaching at the club since 2015 so is no longer a novice.

Good old Johnno may have been a decent player but he is listed as being the Technical Coach and Head of Player Development so can hardly be absolved from responsibility for the disappointments on the pitch - if only he had been as successful as Ben Benson.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

Stop thinking your Frank Beckenbaur every time the opposition play a ball over the top?

That's what the manager expects of him though, it'll be fook all to do with Benson either way.

44 minutes ago, tomphil said:

That's what the manager expects of him though, it'll be fook all to do with Benson either way.

Yeah was just being facetious.

I think that's just him to be fair. I get the feeling it would be difficult to try and stop him doing it. My player of the year by a mile.

Anyway we digress.

Anyone gone yet?

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think Benson has been coaching at the club since 2015 so is no longer a novice.

Good old Johnno may have been a decent player but he is listed as being the Technical Coach and Head Player Development so can hardly be absolved from the disappointments on the pitch - if only he had been as successful as Ben Benson.

By the looks of it as well as the confused look on Mowbrays face he's quite simply installed too many cooks.

Stats are taking over the game and he's thinking he's pioneering that so everybody is running around with a clipboard. 

Your attempts to smear Johnson and divert away from the REAL problem are rather obvious and a bit sad really. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

By the looks of it as well as the confused look on Mowbrays face he's quite simply installed too many cooks.

Stats are taking over the game and he's thinking he's pioneering that so everybody is running around with a clipboard. 

Your attempts to smear Johnson and divert away from the REAL problem are rather obvious and a bit sad really. 

I have no intention of smearing anyone. I responded to what I thought was very unfair criticism of Ben Benson. Good old Johnno gets a free pass on here because he is a popular former player whereas Benson is not. But I can see no reason for getting rid of Benson.

37 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It's a fallacy to believe that someone has to have played at a high level to be a good coach.

Not sure why you have something against Benson. He is the goalkeeping coach - the one area of the team where there has been visible improvement this season. It is a pity that the other coaches like Lowe and Johnson have not had the same impact.

he`s never played the game,so how can he relate to coaching professionals,frankly it would be impossible not to improve,seeing as we had walton in the nets last year,there was`nt exactly an improvement with him,in fact he got worse as the season progressed

iv`e nothing against him,im`e sure he`s a nice fellow,it`s just a symptom of the current regime and ambition that we have to employ a coach who`s at the bottom of the barrel

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Yeah was just being facetious.

Inthink that's just him to be fair. I get the feeling it would be difficult to try and stop him doing it. My player of the year by a mile.

Anyway we digress.

Anyone gone yet?

Thanks to TM and co, I've gone mad, if that counts 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

But I can see no reason for getting rid of Benson.

To be fair if you were judging it based purely on results, EVERYONE on the coaching staff should have been through the door some time ago.

You're just fishing as always.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I have no intention of smearing anyone. I responded to what I thought was very unfair criticism of Ben Benson. Good old Johnno gets a free pass on here because he is a popular former player whereas Benson is not. But I can see no reason for getting rid of Benson.

Benson and Lowe are just collateral damage of the way the club is now run. Both iv'e no doubt work hard and do their best but really shouldn't be near a team that supposedly has promotion aspirations.

Mowbray inherited both and kept them either because he had to or by his own judgement.  I'll always remain a little skeptical of the moving of Johnson into the first team fold. Either way though he'd proven himself a very useful asst to the club with his management of the U23s.

It looks from the outside like they moved him and created a position for him. Odd really when he was doing so well where he was.  And how much does Mowbrays backroom team cost the club now ?

Benson. Lowe, Johnson, Venus, himself, drones, drone pilots, analytical staff the list goes on and on.  Then they penny pinch in the physio and medical depts.

It's not good, i doubt it's all really needed and it's all on Mowbrays doorstep.  Yet form on niggles and knocks and bringing back players before they are ready is worse than ever before.

Sooner he's gone the better before he clogs up the entire club.

• Like 6

I'm not convinced Mowbray had much say in Lowe and Benson. He got the job because he was willing to work with them after the Coyle exodus, and just kept them on since then. Remember Coyle got the job on the proviso he was working with Kelly and Irvine, but both then got jobs elsewhere conviently opening up vacancies for his mates to come in. 

Says it all that the only changes to his coaching staff since the day he arrived have been to bring in his ever present deputy/assistant/head of football/director who seems to have his fingers in plenty of pies and more jobs than is possible to fulfil, and to promote Jonno from the reserves.

I've no real idea how good or bad Lowe and Benson are at their jobs. I do know they've scant other experience managing or coaching to a high level. Promote from within is the mantra at this club and I think that applies irrespective of abilities or ambitions.

Serious managerial appointments result in not just managers but coaching staff too. That needs to happen with the next bloke otherwise it will be the same voices on the training ground. It needs refreshing.

It isn't normal to have the same staff in place through managerial change. But then £££ and convenience are the motivation rather than what is best from a football perspective this is what happens.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

What do you mean....look at the evidence - top players! 🤣 (that's Mourinho bottom right btw)

NINTCHDBPICT000553146070-e1578665852112.jpg

C’mon now we have all played for them (far right, back row - about ten minutes before I had a heart attack 😂)

081A0CCF-CD58-49D7-A8C0-CBE7F2CF6C05.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I really don't understand your obsession with appointing a Director of Football Chaddy.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. A recipe for disaster with said Director at complete loggerheads with the manager.

Let's appoint the best manager we can and leave him in full charge of all footballing matters. Let's appoint the best Coach of his choice we can to assist him and Let's appoint the best CEO we can, (most definitely NOT the choice of the manager) to run the Club behind the scenes.

Its can a disaster but just look successful its been for Norwich. Alot of PL clubs have then. 

We have a manager now in charge of footballing matters and the recruitment of players has been appalling to be fair, the manager isn't accountable to anyone at the club 

I think we would be better served with director of football operations and head coach who he selects. Also a lot of foreign head coaches aren't used to be in charge of signings or even involved in recruitment. 

Plus with a DoF in place its allow that head coach to focus on the training and tactics on the field and get results right. 

It's all depends on whether we could get Wilder or Hughes in who wouldn't a DoF in place or an coach who wants that in place 

55 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

C’mon now we have all played for them (far right, back row - about ten minutes before I had a heart attack 😂)

081A0CCF-CD58-49D7-A8C0-CBE7F2CF6C05.jpeg

Bloody ell.  Micky Quinn back left , Lee Bowyer front left and David May front right....Good team....pity about Dominic Littlewood back right 🙄

• Like 2