BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bournemouth (a) - 11/12/21

11 minutes ago, starscascade said:

What do you guys think of this?

great atmosphere. I felt like was there. The vloggers feel like undercover frauds but it’s nice to see neutrals enjoying Rovers.

Was standing literally row behind slightly to the right with my brother, saw you vloggin and was hoping I would find your upload somewhere! 

what a day. That Van Hecke knee slide is really something.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Van Hecke’s dad had made the trip and was among the Rovers fans. I’d imagine he wanted to celebrate with him rather than any love for Rovers

Not sure about that, he really seems to have a lot of passion. Dont think its specifically Rovers, just he is the type that hates losing - very competitive (sometimes overly, re Fulham). He is always high fiving, congratulating the keeper - love his spirit.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

They’ve continued to put as much money into the club that’s allowed. We’re not a Derby or Reading. Their crime is having no knowledge of the crooked underworld of football and it’s agents 

Hmmmm.

I think they have lots of knowledge of the crooked underworld of football and it’s agents. Maybe they lack a bit of understanding, but knowledge, no I’d say they have lots of ‘knowledge’ of each other. Almost in the biblical sense of the word.

What they have no knowledge of is actual football - the importance of defence, setting a team up right, how to choose and deal with managers, not pissing off the fan base, the importance of winning, what happens to teams that don’t win, how the English league system works, what a league table looks like, how to get to Ewood.

I could go on.

I am not convinced they have any knowledge of business either. I don’t buy into the commonly heard fallacy that because you’re rich you must have at least some brains. These guys prove how ridiculous the modern capitalist world is - stinking rich, yet utterly incompetent, dumb as fuck and totally bent. It isn’t a conspiracy btw - they genuinely are as stupid as they seem.

So no knowledge of anything useful at all actually, except, of course, crooked underworld agents and shysters who have their ears.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, starscascade said:

What do you guys think of this?

great atmosphere. I felt like was there. The vloggers feel like undercover frauds but it’s nice to see neutrals enjoying Rovers.

Great video.

It's hard to see exactly in the video, but did Bournemouth's keeper run over to the van Hecke celebrations to bowl over Travis from behind? Hard to tell what Travis did to deserve that (might've kicked the ball in after the goal, or some low-key shithousery like that...)

Edited by RoverCanada

10 hours ago, J*B said:

They ring me a couple of times a year asking why I haven’t bought a season ticket. It’s the only way to give them feedback. 

I see. I suppose there's something in that.

59 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Great video.

It's hard to see exactly in the video, but did Bournemouth's keeper run over to the van Hecke celebrations to bowl over Travis from behind? Hard to tell what Travis did to deserve that (might've kicked the ball in after the goal, or some low-key shithousery like that...)

Yes he did. He came to get the ball back, presumably to get on with the game. Given there wouldn’t be a restart without both teams being ready it was pointless. It should have been a booking at least.

As it happens there was then an injury and the game didn’t restart for another couple of minutes anyway.

10 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I'm surprised and glad by the win and watching the highlights, big credit to Aynsley Pears, who has come in for a lot of criticism but pulled off some important saves. Kaminski, obviously, comes back in but it would be good to see what Pears' level is and whether he has the potential to one day succeed Kaminski. He needs games but they're going to be hard to come by.

As others have mentioned, it was notable how aggressive and hardworking the team is now. Defenders seem to be snapping into challenges and the forwards are tracking back to protect the wing backs. It's just a shame that this has been lacking so much for so long.

I'm somewhat confused by the role of Buckley in the team today and would be glad for clarification from anyone who saw the game. From what I can tell, he was playing a No.10 role - which might be called a false 9, as there was no central striker but Brereton and Khadra wide forwards. He seemed to be dropping into midfield to try to win the ball, in a a flexible 5-2-3 and perhaps, 5-5-0 without the ball...?

This formation, if it is what we were playing, is a new one to me. I can't think of seeing another team play with five at the back, a number 10 and two wide forwards, with no central striker (though the wide forwards move in-field to occupy central positions). It's more secure than playing 4-3-3 but, nonetheless, it is a high risk formation, leaving two in the centre of midfield.

And, Gallagher made his return, as a sub for Khadra. Dare I ask - did he play right wide forward? I think today would've been a chance to bring on Clarkson, to take on the attacking midfield role. Instead, it seemed to go to Johnson. It seems unfair on other players, like Butterworth, if Clarkson's going to occupy a sub position but not trusted to get on the pitch.

You are very much spot on regarding the formation which we have played over the last few games.

On paper it's 5-3-2, but it's flexible. It's very much a formation that is setup for counter attacks. Defensively Ben and Khadra will operate at wide forwards, helping out the full-backs while Buckley will often be the first man to press centrally. When we win back possession, Breo and Khadra will attack the gaps/channels between the full-back and centre-half.

Bucko excels in this role. He'll win possession defensively while being able to pick a pass to the advancing wide forwards.  Defensively the formation helps us greatly, defence is almost never exposed as much of our attacks happens on the break, and with three centre-halfs there is less risk of of them being exposed on pace behind.

It's very much a reverse from last season, when we tried to play a possession game with a high defensive line. Now we are playing like the teams we struggled the most against. A bit of credit to Mowbray for being pragmatic and maximizing the players at his disposal. A bit similar to the League One season, when he changed and went more direct with Graham as focal point and Dack picking up the pieces. However I wonder how Dack can fit in this formation? Probably the Bucko role, but he really need his match fitness to be effective.

• Like 5

One thing which has become apparent over the last few games is how our game management has improved. We are pushing the boundaries on all restarts when we go in front and yesterday shortly after periods of Bournemouth possession we had players going down with 'injuries' which didn't advise require treatment but used up enough time to stop the flow of the game.

Maybe some purists won't be happy to see this but ultimately it's up to the referee to control this aspect of the game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Van Hecke’s dad had made the trip and was among the Rovers fans. I’d imagine he wanted to celebrate with him rather than any love for Rovers

We should try and get his Dad to every game if he can keep scoring headers like that while he is at the games.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, briansol said:

You are very much spot on regarding the formation which we have played over the last few games.

On paper it's 5-3-2, but it's flexible. It's very much a formation that is setup for counter attacks. Defensively Ben and Khadra will operate at wide forwards, helping out the full-backs while Buckley will often be the first man to press centrally. When we win back possession, Breo and Khadra will attack the gaps/channels between the full-back and centre-half.

Bucko excels in this role. He'll win possession defensively while being able to pick a pass to the advancing wide forwards.  Defensively the formation helps us greatly, defence is almost never exposed as much of our attacks happens on the break, and with three centre-halfs there is less risk of of them being exposed on pace behind.

It's very much a reverse from last season, when we tried to play a possession game with a high defensive line. Now we are playing like the teams we struggled the most against. A bit of credit to Mowbray for being pragmatic and maximizing the players at his disposal. A bit similar to the League One season, when he changed and went more direct with Graham as focal point and Dack picking up the pieces. However I wonder how Dack can fit in this formation? Probably the Bucko role, but he really need his match fitness to be effective.

The only place that Dack fits in the team is as a sub. He cannot displace anyone automatically that will undo all the work to unite this group of players. Bucko cannot be dropped.

13 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

I don’t know how you make that connection. They’ve been naïve and taken advise from individuals that had their own agenda. The result is relegation and the ‘little birds’ have flown the the nest to the iron islands

I thought they had gone to Edinburgh 

• Like 1

Just got back from Bournemouth. What a good day, and match, the night wasn't bad either. A great team effort, I have to say I hope we find the finance to sign Van Heck. I love his strength. For our older members, he reminds me of Graham Hawkins. The defensive side of our game has improved no end. With ten minutes to go, I have never felt so confident that we would hold onto the lead.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

One thing which has become apparent over the last few games is how our game management has improved. We are pushing the boundaries on all restarts when we go in front and yesterday shortly after periods of Bournemouth possession we had players going down with 'injuries' which didn't advise require treatment but used up enough time to stop the flow of the game.

Maybe some purists won't be happy to see this but ultimately it's up to the referee to control this aspect of the game.

Completely agree on this. Very noticeable as well. In the past few seasons we would have been drawing or losing to late goals.

Makes me wonder exactly who has brought this into our game ? I approve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, briansol said:

I guess the way we play could be characterised as 523 without the ball and 3412 with the ball.

I agree its really smart - when we're without the ball the opposition get no respite from the front three press, but there is very little on with the long ball due to the back 5. When we have the ball it's very hard for the opposition to effectively mark Bucko dropping off or track the wider strikers in the channels.

Mowbrays been doing this wide strikers thing for 5 years now, and the false nine for two years. But it's just now starting to make a lot of sense. 

As for Dack - he'll definitely end up in the false 9 if he gets fit enough. In this system it's the perfect role for him. Bucko is so good he could play anywhere really, could see him in central mid or right wing back.